Needing "390919" > Oil Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I reccomend a magnetic drain plug, especially if you use a metal cam sprocket instead of the GM nylon sprocket.
Why would anybody want to run a nylon toothed cam sprocket.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
Buick 231 timing chain.jpg
Buick 231 Timing Chain 0.JPG
Pretty sure GM used nylon on g-bodies still, it wasn't metal asaik. GM and Ford, maybe Chrysler but i'm not 100% sure, used plastic tooth aluminum gear they claimed to make less noise. About 80k miles later the teeth come off, pretty well known and some people noticed an afro of particles on their drainplug magnet using aftermarket metal gears so went back to OEM plastic tooth gear. IMO metal gear is better but I use a magnetic drain plug and it does grow an afro. Billet gear might not do this.

If you do come across the OEM plastic gear that has lost it's teeth, it's a good idea to have a look at the oil pump pickup screen, it might have bits of teeth clogging the screen.

Last edited:
  • Scared
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always used good quality true roller double rollers and I know now the stuff I run is all billet but the ones I ran years ago I wouldn't be sure but either way I never had an issue with metal shavings..
IMO using a nylon toothed sprocket is just adding a point of failure that is completely unnecessary.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
Yes, many people do upgrade to double roller but those scare me a little. Call me weird maybe, I'm more comfortable with the durability of link-belt style chain b/c I've never seen one fail. It's comforting to learn my 81 305 might not have the nylon gear, I haven't been in there yet. My '69 Chevelle 350 did have the nylon gear. Perhaps the metal particles from an aftermarket sprocket aren't a problem, probably not is my guess, just saying the magnet picks up an afro that didn't appear with the plastic gear.
Buick 231 Timing Chain 2.JPG
buick 231 roller rolon timing chain.jpg

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
Since when does metal on the drain plug come strictly from the timing set?

When it doesn't appear with a nylon gear but does appear after changing over to metal aftermarket. Perhaps this is only temporary or tapers as the sprocket is run over time, the afro growth does seem to slow to some degree.

I prefer to use the magnetic drain plug and this is one example of why, that's just me I suppose?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I only called you weird because you asked for it. I don't think anyone, ever has replaced a metal timing gear with a plastic one unless it's some high soot, carbon fiber belt drive system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor