Needing door removal advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve 82 Elly

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2020
Help please. Whats the best way to remove a door on an El camino. Should I remove the door from the hinge or the hinge from the car?? Igloos pretty easy to remove the door from the hinge but I'm concerned about re-attaching and alignment. You guys give great advice, please help a brother out!!

86CUT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2020
For me it was easier to take off by the hinge, it made it easier to align it with the paint once I reinstalled it

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I drilled 1/8 inch holes through the door /hinge before removal and used them to re-align the door on install.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Thanks for that tip lilbowtie, I've always wondered how custom shops do that.

Steve, it is always better to keep at least one side of hinge fixed rather than mess with and loosen both. When you loosen both set of screws, that move results in too many variables. Also, if you plan to redo the door hinges, it is an easier job to remove the pins and bushings with the hinges fixed to the body vs. the doors.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Steve, 08Malibu is right, these doors are quite heavy and unwieldy. I suggest doing it on smooth, level surface that you can easily maneuver a floor jack on. Also, have a helper! Take a look at the tool below.

It helps a LOT to keep things steady as you reattach the door.

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Help please. Whats the best way to remove a door on an El camino. Should I remove the door from the hinge or the hinge from the car?? Igloos pretty easy to remove the door from the hinge but I'm concerned about re-attaching and alignment. You guys give great advice, please help a brother out!!
On my square body, I used a cherry picker and a couple of straps. Made it super easy to maneuver the door.....I have not tried this on a g body....but I would think it would be equally effective.

Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Steve, 08Malibu is right, these doors are quite heavy and unwieldy. I suggest doing it on smooth, level surface that you can easily maneuver a floor jack on. Also, have a helper! Take a look at the tool below.
When I took the door off of the H/O I was parting out, it slipped off of the jack. The door dropped and slid right under the car. Luckily it was complete garbage, or it would’ve been a bad deal. I wound up dragging it right out to the truck by the wire harness and it was a b*tch to get it up into the bed.

It helps a LOT to keep things steady as you reattach the door.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Depends on tools available and skill level. I like to remove the pins, replace the pins and bushings, original alignment undisturbed. Many newer GM vehicles (especially trucks) this is the only way to remove door anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor