Needing Some Advice on Spec... Who to Go by?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
In your opinion, which set of specs should I use for backlash, preload and torque? The GM manual I have, or the mfg. like Richmond, USA Gear, West Coast Differential, etc.? Its not that there is that big of a difference, but there is a difference. Is .002 to .004 a big enough difference to make a change? I would say.... yes in my line of work, but didn't know if there is a "grey area" in the Ring and Pinion set up world. I am using all new bearings, races and seals, a used set of gears (Richmond 3:73) and a used but checked and verified Auburn 28 spline carrier. The torque spec for the ring bolt torque from the aftermarket sources is 65 ft lbs, but the manual says 80-95 ft lbs. Again, which one do I follow? I used the pinion shim from the gear set that I got, (OE pinion shim from the rear differential was .038 and the one with the gears was .034, hence the first question) and set pinion depth and pinion bearing preload to 12-15 in lbs. Manual says more. (15-30 in lbs, but with a different gear ratio which spec do I go by?) I installed the carrier, and set at .000. I measured backlash and it is at .010. (Aftermarket sources say .006-.010, Manual says .005-.008) I did not have the bearing caps installed or torqued. (Again, Aftermarket says 60 ft lbs but Manual says 40-65 ft lbs) So I installed them and torqued them to 65 ft. lbs. I figured 5 ft lbs is not going to hurt anything. That changed the backlash measurement to .006. Is it suppost to change from torquing of the carrier bearing caps? I used the caps that we in the differential originally, although I do have the caps from the differential that the gears and carrier originally came out of. I am also going to install ARP Studs for the bearing caps on the final build. So I this point I figured I would hit you guys up and see what you recommend. Keep going and see what the wear pattern looks like, or start over using different values and change shims and torque settings? I appreciate all your input like always guys!!

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
i believe you're supposed to torque the bearing caps each time.... yeah its a PIA.... i know the last time i did mine i must have done it atleast 20 times...

i had new richmond gears and detroit truetrac diff, followed those instructions only. if i am using aftermarket parts i usually follow their instructions.

if i remember correctly, the bolts that came with the richmond gear installation kit were a different design from the original (i think they had lockwashers), which is why i followed the richmond specs. if you are re-using original ring gear bolts use the original torque specs.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
i believe you're supposed to torque the bearing caps each time.... yeah its a PIA.... i know the last time i did mine i must have done it atleast 20 times...

i had new richmond gears and detroit truetrac diff, followed those instructions only. if i am using aftermarket parts i usually follow their instructions.

if i remember correctly, the bolts that came with the richmond gear installation kit were a different design from the original (i think they had lockwashers), which is why i followed the richmond specs. if you are re-using original ring gear bolts use the original torque specs.

OK I appreciate the feedback. Wpould be upset if I managed to actually get this to work the first time I do it and have a failure because of "Too' much information!! LOL Thanks again!!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Do not swap rear end caps. Do not even swap them side to side. And backlash needs to be set with the bearing caps on and torqued. You should actually be tapping the last shim in with a mallet to set the side load on the carrier bearings.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I allways use the GM specs. They are designed to have the parts last the life of the vehicle and they are good for both GM as well as aftermarket built gear sets.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor