neesd some advice on 200 4r front pump swap, maybe complete overhaul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Ok guys, I have my ramjet 350 long block with holley stealth ram EFI all put together and waiting to go into the 442. I am on to making sure that I am not pulling the engine back out again due to transmission issues like I have had in the past. the 442 when I got it had no motor but did have the stock KZF, after I got the 355 into the car we lost reverse on it and soon after I didn’t have much of forward either. I ended up with a second KZF out of another 86 442 that I put into the car, all shifts fine and works as it should but I have a odd wining noise that from what I read is likely the front pump on the transmission. So now I am sitting here with the ram jet motor on a fresh rebuild ready to go in and thinking that I want to get this all right the first time, I am too busy too be yanking stuff in and out like I could before the kids/house/carreer…. so now I need to decide what to do with this transmission, do I pay to have it rebuilt? Likely the best option but I am looking at close to a grand, I am not sure about you guys but I like to keep my money in my pocket and I do not like paying people to do my work either. the transmission that is in the car appears to be functioning properly minus the whining noise when I put it in gear so I am thinking lets just rebuild the front pump, not sure 100% what this involves but I watched a youtube video on it and it doesn’t seem hard. Yea I am sure that someone is thinking that I shouldn’t be tearing into the thing but there was a point in time that I had never rebuilt an engine and now I have over a dozen builds including a few BBC marine motors pushing 500+ on budget builds. So with that I was also thinking is my torque converter what I want? could the torque converter be part of my issue? if I buy another one should I pick something different than the KZR/VIN 9 torque converter? If I am doing this much what other upgrades should I do to make the transmission function better? I know that the 200s built up can handle some crazy power, I have seen plenty of places say that a stock 200 can handle 400hp, who knows if that ones true or not. I am going to be at around 350 or so and I do not plan to go past that, this engine is staying the way that it is once installed. I am not going to be racing this car on a regular basis but it will see some Friday night passes once in awhile just for fun, the car will likely not be abused much and is more or a cruising and weekly local car show type of car so absolute peak performance at the track is not what I am after. I don’t think I am afraid to rebuild a transmission on my own either, I actually have considered this many times and now may be a good time to start, again the questions of what kits to buy, what upgrades are best?? I need some advice here guys!

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/200-4r-rebuild-questions.55174/

I think anyone with a place, some tools, a bit of knowledge and desire can overhaul a 2004r. The above link is to another thread that I put links of my build. It wasn't fancy, i didn't really keep track of what I spent but I'm sure it was less than $500 though I did get a smokin deal on the torque converter. but you don't HAVE to have a 2800 stall lockup but it sure is nice.

First thing to get, imo, is this manual. I didn't do everything recommended but it sure is nice with all the pix and tech.
http://www.ckperformance.com/View/GM-2004R-TECHNICAL-MANUAL

Let me know if you have questions. I'm glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor