Neutral Safety (I know, its about 500 topics already)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawlie Fingers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2013
Calgary Alberta
Ok all,

I am new here. I have an 81 Cutlass that i am drag racing this year and i need to have the Neutral Saftey switch hooked up to pass Tech.

Now i have gone through this forum with a fine tooth comb and i can seem to get a straight answer when looking.

it is an 81 Cutlass with a 406 in it. transmission is a 700R4.

Can someone please help me out at to what i am supposed to hook up? Is it just wires on the steering coloumn? Do i need lickage at the transmission?

Please help because the first points race is in 2 weeks and i was really hoping to attend.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
B&M ratchet shifters usually have micro-switches in them for neutral safety and backup lights. There are two plugs at the bottom of the steering colum with 2 wires in them. These are for your backup lighta and Neutral safety- I spliced those into the microswitches in my B&M megashifter to make it work. The only issue is, the alignment is not always great on those, so I ended up putting it in a toggle switch on the dash- shut the truck off, flip the switch off- Turn the key in any position of the shifter, nothing. Flip the switch works. It will pass tech, but it does defeat the purpose of the neutral safety switch.
I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DO IT, it is just how I got past it in the past

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Fact; A G-Body doesn't have an electrical neutral safety switch.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
DoubleV said:

I didn't know that... What does it have for Neutral Safety?

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
GT_80 said:
DoubleV said:

To my knowledge that is controled by the shifter arm in the steering wheel. If not in park or nuetral the key can not physically turn to the starter location.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Never thought of this.... my car wont pass either. I had shift on the column but use a floor shifter. Just drove the pin and removed the OEM gear selector. It always thinks/ locked in park. Would also like an answer

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
CWPottenger said:
GT_80 said:
DoubleV said:

To my knowledge that is controled by the shifter arm in the steering wheel. If not in park or nuetral the key can not physically turn to the starter location.

That's pretty much about it. If you have an aftermarket shifter ( like the Quick Silver ), you can fab a bracket so when you shift into/out off gear, it will physically move the linkage that connects to your steering column and will provide you with the factory style mechanical neutral safety feature not to mention reverse light function too.

Here's a pic of a fabbed bracket I refered too;

Attachments

• dsc00053.jpg
    dsc00053.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 559
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor