Neutral safety switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
The neutral safety switch on the 78 Caballero we have is a strange deal from a Malibu or other G-Bodies. Can anyone tell me the wire colors so we can cut and wire a floor shifter in? Seems like the wires are pink and yellow instead of the regular old purple wire all the way to the starter. Any help would be great.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
The neutral safety switch is mechanical interlock not electrical on these cars. Those wires have to do with the computer. If you want a aftermarket floor shifter to function you will have to cut the purple wire and put a relay in running off the microswitch on the shifter

Reactions: 2 users

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
There is no computer of any kind on this GMC. I believe the thing on the steering column is the interlock. The 3 wire connector has 2 pink and one yellow wire. No purple. One pink is battery the other pink goes hot when you move the ignition to on and the yellow goes hot in the start position and hits the starter.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There is no computer of any kind on this GMC. I believe the thing on the steering column is the interlock. The 3 wire connector has 2 pink and one yellow wire. No purple. One pink is battery the other pink goes hot when you move the ignition to on and the yellow goes hot in the start position and hits the starter.
I used this for the B&M shifter I put in my 81 Malibu.

I did it all last year so I'd have to search for the diagram I made up in case I had to troubleshoot it. From what I remember the orange wire went to the shifter and the purple wire tied into the purple wire going to the starter. Like I said, I did it last year. These days I cant remember what I ate for lunch two days ago.
BTW, usually the pink wire goes to the distributor from the bulkhead connection.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
It is the yellow wire out of the interlock that is the start wire. Don`t know why it is yellow instead of purple. Maybe GM hired a bunch of Ford engineers. It seems that only the El Caminos have the yellow start wire. I just cut the wire and ran it through the shifter neutral safety switch and was done.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It is the yellow wire out of the interlock that is the start wire. Don`t know why it is yellow instead of purple. Maybe GM hired a bunch of Ford engineers. It seems that only the El Caminos have the yellow start wire. I just cut the wire and ran it through the shifter neutral safety switch and was done.
I think I might of came across both wires being yellow in a diagram. Might even have it in my library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor