Neutral safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
I am converting from column to floor shift, and a replacement steering column. I want to keep the stock console. Every aftermarket shifter I have seen looks aftermarket. What has anyone done to install a neutral safety switch. Add brackets, etc, to the original shifter? Modify something like a Camaro shifter to bolt in and support the console? OR??
Thanks
Larry

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I am converting from column to floor shift, and a replacement steering column. I want to keep the stock console. Every aftermarket shifter I have seen looks aftermarket. What has anyone done to install a neutral safety switch. Add brackets, etc, to the original shifter? Modify something like a Camaro shifter to bolt in and support the console? OR??
Thanks
Larry
As Fleming alluded to, you don’t need an NSS on the shifter if you retain the column interlock and linkage. Your column already has the NSS.
1622566796942.jpeg

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks, but I am not using the stock column. So I need a way to have a NSS attatched to the shifter

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Purple wire from column ignition switch to your shifter's micro switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
That is the problem. The stock shifter doesn’t have any switches, nor any provision for attaching any.

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
I thought I was pretty clear. I have a different steering column, so the Interlock linkage can't work. I want to use the stock console, and and either the stock shifter or one that looks like it. I was hoping someone had figured out an NSS under the console. If not, I will have to look at enough NNSs to find one I can make work.
Thanks

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I thought I was pretty clear. I have a different steering column, so the Interlock linkage can't work. I want to use the stock console, and and either the stock shifter or one that looks like it. I was hoping someone had figured out an NSS under the console. If not, I will have to look at enough NNSs to find one I can make work.
Thanks
been a long time since I did this but I have factory console but had to do away with linkage bc I put a 700r4 in. I used the factory neutral safety switch and wired it to two micro switches I mounted on the shifter. I imagine if there is an application for neutral safety switch for your column you could wire it in the same fashion. So now mine works for park lock and reverse lights with no mechanical operation of switch. dont mind the weld job there as I had to change mount for cable since 700 is different cable end

Attachments

• D2226A85-4D1E-48FC-8449-A9CD25BB572F.jpeg
    D2226A85-4D1E-48FC-8449-A9CD25BB572F.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 6559BA19-15F1-4C06-84CC-B9B0AFA02FEC.jpeg
    6559BA19-15F1-4C06-84CC-B9B0AFA02FEC.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor