New 85 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
I was not seeking another gbody. I told myself the only car that I would be interested in is a 79 trans am/firebird with t tops. My current gbody project has been a 79 Cutlass that I have been working on. Actually was going to start engine swap over spring break.

THEN, yesterday I get a call from local old timer that I tracked some parts for a few years ago. He asked if I was interested in his 442. I was like huh?? He was original owner and I remember him driving this car many times over the years. My first 442 was the same color as his so this car was well known in my head. He told me his wife recently passed away and he will probably be moving with a relative and he wasn't taking the car. It's been sitting and he said the best way to keep it on road is to find a new home for it. I am sure he has turned down many people over 35 years who wanted to buy the car. So I felt kind of special (I needed a reason in my head) and bought it.

Attachments

• 20200407_192657.jpg
    20200407_192657.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 293
  • 20200407_155736.jpg
    20200407_155736.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
It's a 85 442. Not a show queen but it is fairly solid. Has the typical door rust and clear coat peeling off hood and trunk. Has 155k on the 307 and it runs decent. I drove the car home. 307 and trans has been rebuilt roughly 12k miles ago. Interior is complete but average due to moisture.

Now the bad (I guess). It has a taped up factory astroroof. I never had a gbody with astroroof except a parts car with an aftermarket one that destroyed the car. He stated it works but it was leaking bad. I am nervous about taking off the tape and seeing if this roof is functional.

What are some tips to start this astroroof process? What are common issues that make these leak? Any tips to get the roof to operate smoothly.

Attachments

• 20200407_182405.jpg
    20200407_182405.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Looks like a nice car, and you know the history behind it, very cool!

Did he throw in the original rims with the sale?

Enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A sunroof car! That's unusual. Sort of. Congrats! Hopefully it didn't cost a whole lot.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Donovan can tell you all about the issues of getting new seals for it that will actually work.

Has that car been repainted? It appears it may have been bc/cc on the hood there... maybe just the paint quality fading away, who knows. The 85's were all lacquer.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
Donovan can tell you all about the issues of getting new seals for it that will actually work.

Has that car been repainted? It appears it may have been bc/cc on the hood there... maybe just the paint quality fading away, who knows. The 85's were all lacquer.

The car appears to be repainted. Some decals are off regarding placement. The hood was actually replaced with another. He had the original hood, the paint was good but it was rusted underneath. I'm thinking about putting a H/O hood that I have on it if I can get this roof situation together.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The hood was actually replaced with another. He had the original hood, the paint was good but it was rusted underneath. I'm thinking about putting a H/O hood that I have on it if I can get this roof situation together.
Cool. I wouldn't waste time changing hoods if that roof situation can't get controlled. This is one of the reasons sunroofs and T-tops sometimes simply suck.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
For the astro roof, you will have to drop the headliner (which would be a good time to replace it if it is bad) and then disassemble the unit as its attached to the roof itself. They do make new seals for it, so you should be good in that regard. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor