The car is back home ready for me to start some assembly before final paint. However, I had to leave town for work (2x weeks) literally the day after I got it. FYI, that sucks. It's like having a new bike under the Christmas tree, but you can't ride it until January .
Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forward... Rear end & 3rd member housing completely blown apart for powder coat; Along with the lower trailing arms, core support, and front spindles. Time to finish POR15 on the frame rails and undercoating the the rest of the car.
Ended up having to reuse the stock column mount at the fire wall. Drilled out the welded nuts with a 1/4" inch bit. Add $8.40 worth of stainless hardware from Lowe's, and... wallah we have a much cleaner firewall. Way better than the stock bolts coming from inside out (and those f**kers are sharp too, lol)
I promised a write up for the Vintage Air unit I purchased from ArizonaGN. To be clear, I am super happy with the purchase thus far. They have managed to cobble a Vintage Air Magnum unit with some custom pieces for G Body cars. It has literally saved me hours of time and $ trying to figure it out myself. That said it’s not perfect, nor is it a quick easy bolt on.
The firewall plate comes tig welded and powder coated satin black. It also doubles as the mounting point for the unit (3x button head bolts). It has a very nice 4 port AN connection fitting for your heat and air connections. Lastly it comes assembled with the unit attached to the plate. (It does not come with a gasket, I made mine.)
NOTE: Space is limited behind the plate, so I had to take apart the assembly to determine how and where I wanted to mount my ignition box and coil. It was also complicated by the proximity of the AN connections on the back side (IE it’s hard to get a wrench in there). Which means reassembly is even more difficult.
Once assembled the entire unit slides in from the front of the car. You must remove the dash from the car for installation. You may have to fold in the upper lip of the AC opening for clearance (pic provided by Arizona GN when ordered). I did not have to clearance near as much and the unit went in easily.
Once the unit is installed there are some clearance issues. It sits very tight to the kick panel (pictured) and there is a clearance issue with the plastic factory duct (also pictured).
This is as far as I will go with the installation for now. I will resume when I start the interior work and wiring.