New cam in my olds 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I wiped out a cam lobe on the trip to SC so instead of picking up another cheap daily driver i'm just gonna get the new cam and get it done.

First, i didn't like the idle of my old cam and it was kind've miss-matched so i need help picking a new cam profile. So if anyone can help out let me know and i'll post my setup.

Second, whats a GOOD gasket set to use for olds engines?? I bought mondellotwisters crap and half of the gaskets didn't seal, had no problems with the fel-pro alternatives for the time being.

For the intake gaskets, should i go with copper gaskets, or use the OEM gasket / splash shield ??

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
CamaroAdam73 said:
I wiped out a cam lobe on the trip to SC so instead of picking up another cheap daily driver i'm just gonna get the new cam and get it done.

First, i didn't like the idle of my old cam and it was kind've miss-matched so i need help picking a new cam profile. So if anyone can help out let me know and i'll post my setup.

Second, whats a GOOD gasket set to use for olds engines?? I bought mondellotwisters crap and half of the gaskets didn't seal, had no problems with the fel-pro alternatives for the time being.

For the intake gaskets, should i go with copper gaskets, or use the OEM gasket / splash shield ??

Adam, I've built many Olds motors and have never liked the OEM turkey tray style gaskets due to vacuum / oil leaks and they look like crap with using an Edelbrock intake. For the last 3 builds, I've used the Mr Gasket intake gaskets and have had very good results. Save your old turkey tray and cut it to hang on the dowel locators. The Mr Gasket set up uses separate, rubberized gaskets. There are several posts on Oldspower.com on the subject...Spend some time searching over there.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Everybody on there and other places on the net say the Mr.gasket ultra seal 3's are the best, but they are not available anymore. The only place i can find a set is orielys auto parts, for 44.95$.

I've read good things about the SCE Accuseal intake gaskets so that's what i'm going to use. They have a preformed raised bead of silicone around the ports so that should help make a pretty tight seal.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-279101

I called comp cams and they helped me pick this cam, is this a good match for my setup?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4 ... /overview/

I'm not dogging on anyone but the person who helped me pick the cam last time picked one that ended up being miss-matched to my setup, and it was a "thumpr" cam, i didn't know the "thumpr" cams where literally meant to sound cool, but leave alittle on the table.

Here's my setup/usage for the car

Olds 403

.040 Over
10:1 CR

350 Rocket heads from 69, had them CC'ed, 66CC
Stock valve sizes, 1.94 int/ 1.63 exh
Mild port/bowl work

Intake
Edelbrock 3711 performer low rise
Range idle - 5500
Dual plane

Ignition
Stock dizzy recurved, DUI DYNA MOD ignition module/ coil.
Moroso adjustable vacc advance
Moroso Pickup

Carb
Factory 800 CFM 403 Q-jet, built to the old cams spec, so i know i'll have to make some adjustments.

Exhaust
Hedman headers
Primary Tube Diameter (in):1 3/4 in.
Collector Diameter:3.000 in.
2.5" full dual exhaust the whole way back.

Car's an 88 monte carlo, Th350 with a 2100 RPM stall converter, currently geared way up in the clouds with a 2.41 gear, my original differential went out right before the big move so i had to settle with what i could find. I'll be swapping the gear set back to whatever best suits my setup.

I drive this car daily, to and from work but like to have fun so a street/strip cam profile shouldn't be a problem.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
That Comp Cams grind is a good strong DD cam for your current set up. For the track, you will want to get bigger intake valves and optimize the ports. Change to a performer rpm intake and use a 3.42 rear gear with new HD axles. From there traction will be your next issue.
T

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
CamaroAdam73 said:
I called comp cams and they helped me pick this cam, is this a good match for my setup?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4 ... /overview/

According to many who build and race Oldsmobile engines, Comp Cams are NOT the way to go. They have consistantly UNDER-performed vs many other cams.

I'm not dogging on anyone but the person who helped me pick the cam last time picked one that ended up being miss-matched to my setup, and it was a "thumpr" cam, i didn't know the "thumpr" cams where literally meant to sound cool, but leave alittle on the table.

I can't picture any situation where a 'Thumpr' cam would ever be the right cam unless somebody specifically wanted a cam that had a crappy idle and produces less power than almost any other cam....

Lunati, Ultradyne, Bullet, and Engle are known for working very well in an Olds. I recommend you speak with one of the many OLDS engine builders and get a recommendation from them.

Are you sure on that? That's probably the biggest thing that many people overestimate on. Make sure this is your actual CR or you may be disappointed again with your new cam.

Intake
Edelbrock 3711 performer low rise
Range idle - 5500
Dual plane

Get an Edelbrock Performer RPM!

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Thanks for the input guys, for the time being budget is an issue so i have to run my current manifold. I've heard allot of talk about the RPM intakes, i'll definitely keep it in mind.

As far as the thumpr cam goes, i had no idea what a "thumpr" cam was, i thought it was just what comp cams named that particular profile, like "Xtreme energy" and so on.

Unfortunately i have no one i can talk too. Just moved to a new area, don't know ANY engine builders, let alone someone who works on olds engines so i'm probably going to run this 42-224-4 grind unless you guys can figure out a better cam profile for me to run.

I'm pretty sure my compression ratio sits at 10:1 or possibly very slightly over, i had my machine ship help figure it out when we CC'ed the heads, and figured in compressed gasket thickness and what not.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Try this cam out instead. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10420704
As I said before and Double V also stated, A performer rpm is a must for track use. The rear has to be built up or get a stronger rear because it will break weak rears.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Jet, if i went with that lunati i'd have to get another Torque converter so that's a no go for now, thanks for looking though i appreciate it. I think i'm just going to run the comp cams for now and be happy with it, i can pickup the RPM performer intake and start setting money aside for the new gear set/axles next month, once i get on my feet and have a few pay checks under me.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Realize that a) the 'Extreme Energy' cams are very noisy and b) the Lunati Voodoo cams were designed to specifically out perform a comparable Extreme Energy cam. So basically, the Voodoo cams are flat out better than the Comp Cam XE cams. If that's the case I don't see a reason to ever get an XE cam.

Don't just go out and buy the first cam recommended to you. Just pick up the phone and call one of the reputable Olds builders like Bill Travoto at BTR Performance. Get a cam recomendation from a PRO who builds OLDS engines. You already made the mistake of listening to the guy who told you to use a Thumpr cam. Don't make the same mistake again. Why take a chance on getting it wrong again?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I'd check with Lunati to see what they say and compare. Your torque converter can handle the cam that I showed you. Most rpm figures are estimates. They change with power levels, components, and usage.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor