New Chicagoland G-Body Owner (84 Monte SS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Stereo conversions are a fairly common upgrade as the factory stuff was "less that stellar" I did cut my my bezel but kept it neat to make it appear it belongs there.

Attachments

• 20200510_160002.jpg
    20200510_160002.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you replace the failed or worn out components, including consumables (tires/belts/hoses/oil/filter/battery/plugs/cap/rotor, etc.) with genuine GM components, to me that's keeping it old school and I personally feel you're still keeping it "as original" as possible. We all know keeping one 100% original is impossible. The minute you change the old oil and factory filter, you've changed that dynamic.

It's rare nowadays, or nearly any day, to find a very low mile example of what was once the age of MTV, big hair bands, inflation with sky-high interest rates. At least we're getting back one of those today. Bring back the 80s they said. It'll be fun they said...

The second you start deliberately adding stuff that wasn't there at the beginning, you're going to hurt the historical value of the car. It would for me, and probably any bonafide collector worth their salt.

If originality isn't your bag, then do whatever you want to it. Once you start adding non-GM components to it, it's just another modified car, by definition. Restification is not originality, even if the new parts are better, faster, stronger. Doesn't make it bad, but the more you change, the further away from original you get, which drives down the price if you ever decided to sell. If you never plan to sell it, then who cares? Be happy with it as you wish it to be.

The closer you can keep one original, or restored to original appearance, the better, IMO.

Others may disagree with my opinion on that, and that's ok. That's why I don't own your car and you don't own mine.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Exactly. The radio, for example, is decidedly not good. I've already replaced the rear-deck speakers, that made a huge difference. A "Retro Manufacturing" radio arrives today. It'll fit without cutting up the original facia, won't look terribly out-of-place, and I'm building a plug-in harness so I won't be cutting into any of the original wiring.
I velcroed a100 watt Bluetooth amp the size of a pack of cigarettes next to the under dash ashtray and left the stereo in place.
I've only had it, like, 3 weeks; and am already getting questionable "advice." I was already told that "you need to paint that car black."

Decline.

Speaking of questionable, a participant in that car show last week had a very nice Fox Mustang. The owner intends to LS swap it. To each their own! (To his credit, he was a young guy; and if this is how the hobby stays alive, fine by me!)
Chimera mustangs - there's so many engine options from Frod - I never got that. Maybe the sheer ugliness of the Gen 4 F-body forces some people to put a GM engine in the better-looking Foxbody

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Very nice car! I have a white 1984 SS that my parents bought new. I wish it was that blue. Still has almost all of the original paint and graphics. I've made some tasteful (at least to me) modifications, but I've kept all of the original parts, so that it could be put back to O.E. (or as close as possible).

Reactions: 2 users

Cordoba1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Very nice car! I have a white 1984 SS that my parents bought new. I wish it was that blue. Still has almost all of the original paint and graphics. I've made some tasteful (at least to me) modifications, but I've kept all of the original parts, so that it could be put back to O.E. (or as close as possible).
I'm very fond of the white cars. I was really looking over a white one with the red decals -- the ones that go over the wheels, and are on the spoiler, too. It was quite fetching. There was also a black over tan on eBay recently, that looked good, too.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Beautiful car!

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, you got some great taste. New car looks very fresh, also digging the old one as well

Cordoba1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Welcome, you got some great taste. New car looks very fresh, also digging the old one as well
Thanks! Would you be surprised to learn how many people mistook my Cordoba LS for a Monte Carlo? For real.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'm very fond of the white cars. I was really looking over a white one with the red decals -- the ones that go over the wheels, and are on the spoiler, too. It was quite fetching. There was also a black over tan on eBay recently, that looked good, too.
Was the white one at a dealer in OH ?

Cordoba1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2022
Was the white one at a dealer in OH ?
I can't remember if it was OH or PA? But yeah, it was at a consignment shop East of here (IL). If I remember correctly, it had a bench seat, which ultimately kept me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor