New Daily Driver! Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I got a new daily driver, again lol. I traded my 1999 Chevy K1500 Suburban for a 1996 K1500 Extended Cab Pickup. I've been needing a pickup and a buddy had this one and was willing to swap me for my suburban. This one has 190,000 miles on it, my Suburban had 160,000. It has a 5.7 Vortec, 4L60E, and a 10 bolt rear with posi and 3.73s. Transmission was replaced with a used unit not long ago. Not sure what transfer case it has but it is a manual-shift version, which is good because the electronic shift version my Suburban had is prone to failure. It has the 3rd door option which has been quite useful. It is a heavy-duty chassis so it has bigger leaf packs in the rear, bigger brakes, and a 3/4 ton frame and it originally had a 14 bolt rear, but the original rear had some slop in it so it was replaced with a good 10 bolt before I bought it. It needs a little bit of body work, the driver's side cab corner needs replaced and the 3rd door on the passenger side needs replaced as it is rusted out at the bottom. The bed rails are rough too, so a near-future bed replacement is likely. Rocker panels are mint and the front doors are pretty decent too. Floors are great, tailgate is mint, frame is spotless. It has a couple mechanical issues to sort out. Its got a P0420 code, and I am fairly certain the 02 sensors are at fault and not the catalytic converter. The E Brake doesn't work, so that will need sorting, and the ABS kicks in every time you brake, so I pulled the fuse. I'm assuming (for now) it needs a wheel speed sensor. The brakes pulsate, so it'll need rotors and probably pads. Other than these couple issues, it seems to run and drive great. It's also has working AC (Suburban didn't) and a nice Kenwood head unit with aux jack which is something I've never had before. Tires are almost brand new too, and the Suburban was going to need tires soon. I've already put it to work a few times loading it with mulch. I love these GMT400 trucks and this is the second one I've owned as a personal vehicle, I just hope to keep this one a little longer than I have been! So far my average period of ownership for daily drivers is about 6 months o_O

image.png

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
coolio

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Drove a white '95 K1500 for a while before I rolled it avoiding a lady driving down the middle of a gravel road. Really miss that truck. I've driven newer stuff and I still think it was the best handling/driving. Also, I don't know if you like to go mudding, but those things are pretty hard to get stuck. Only time I ever had trouble is when I got high-centered.

Nov 4, 2012
Drove a white '95 K1500 for a while before I rolled it avoiding a lady driving down the middle of a gravel road. Really miss that truck. I've driven newer stuff and I still think it was the best handling/driving. Also, I don't know if you like to go mudding, but those things are pretty hard to get stuck. Only time I ever had trouble is when I got high-centered.

Wow, that's quite a story. Four-wheeling isn't much my thing, as there aren't any trails around here meant for it, but I did happen to stumble upon a huge construction site on a Sunday when no one was around one day while out driving in my Suburban. It was probably a square mile of land, with mud 12" deep everywhere. Let's just say I thoroughly tested the 4wd capabilities of my SUV :D. I couldn't get it stuck, no matter how hard I tried. And that was on nearly bald tires!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor