New Devil Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Yeah so in the final hour when i'm getting ready to start putting the rebuild into motion, i decide to ride with my friend over to this guys house who is retiring from racing and selling everything he's got.

30 minutes and 1000$ later i'm buying a motor off him lol. It's a 355 bored .30 over, Mechanical flat tap cam with .540 lift, not sure of the duration off hand, i'll have a full specs run down soon. He did mention the crank and rods are stock specification, but the pistons are new, and it's got world SR torquer heads and awhole bunch of other goodies.

They ran it for a few races, with a two barrel carb it produced 425 at the crank, 400 to the wheels. I'm going to be running my Holley 4b 650, and my mallory HEI. My best gues is i'm going to be working with around 420+ to the wheels.

Because of teh nature of this particular cam, and the fact that i don't want to dissasemble a perfectly running motor just to step the cam down, I'm going to run a vaccum canister for my power brakes, And i'm going to rebuild/ strengthen my rear end to handle the power, Any tips on the rear end??

Also, for my own sake, and for the sake of my drivetrain i'm considering putting a throttle limiter for now, this motor is built to run at 7000 RPM's without complaining, but my cars not ready for that yet, and i'm not trying to break things So thats why im considering a throttle limiter for the time being untill shes ready.

My transmissions a beast already, 700R4 with a few tricksu p its sleve, and it's got less than 3000 miles since the rebuild. And as far as i know, it wasen't rebuilt because something broke, it was just rebuilt to perform better.

Other than that i think i've got everything covered, can anybody think of anything im not brainstorming?

Almost forgot, upgraded to an aluminium 4 core radiator, and a pretty sizley Transmission cooler a few months back.

Oh and i've got a standard stall TC, i don't really want a high stall TC because this car is also my daily.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what kind of racing was it used for?
to me it sounds like the motor was built for top end only. you may have problems on the street. not including the brakes and such, you may have to rev to 3000rpm+ just to pull out of your driveway.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
The motor was used for circle track dirt racing. It's not all for top-end, it does have a very nice set of pistons. Even though the power is there, i'm only going to occasionally hot-rod, I've got a SOLID motor and i plan on keeping it that way. Plus back tires are expensive.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Really not trying to cut it down or anything so please don't take this the wrong way. But i'm seeing a recipe for a badly mismatched combo. A "race" motor be it circle track or drag or whatever will most likely require a stall convertor. You might get away with a stock stall speed but it will be a dog of the line. First gear might just drag all the way with the motor never recovering.The power output seems a lil funny to me too. The heads aren't the greatest out there, the sr stands for stock replacement. It might make the power they claim but only a 25 hp loss through the drivetrain seems wrong. As far as 420hp to the tires, just to give you an idea, i'm only making 410 with aluminum heads and a blower. Just wanting to give you some thhings to consider,l hopefully to avoid disappointment.

hotrod87

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2010
Plainfield, IN
I run a 3000 stall behind my 383 with compairable hp on a daily driver....i really have not had any problems. Look at getting a hwy friendly gear.

The best throttle stop out there is your rt foot and that 10lbs on your shoulders :idea:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Nothing wrong with using a vacuum cannister for the brakes 8)

Used one with my car because it'd die coming to a stop. First night we drove it about 45 mins to my dad's buddies' house. Had to put it in neutral and brake.

What kind of fan do you plan on using?

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I appriciate the advice jrm81bu, yeah i'm strongley considering a higher stall converter already. As for your motor, i don't know what to say, theres a million different ways to build a motor, maybe your motor is mismatched? My friend who races has a 410 stroker motor with cast iron vortec heads, and still appears STOCK from the outside (due to the limitations of the class he runs) and the motor produces 500 horse power on the dyno, and it has a Quadrajet carb, i'm not bullshitting.

Yeah i'm going to pickup a mechanical throttle stop, i just don't trust myself fully lol.

And as of right now i'm going to run a mechanical flex fan, but i'm considering an electric fan if it will offer better cooling?

hotrod87

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2010
Plainfield, IN
79loserbluebu said:
Nothing wrong with using a vacuum cannister for the brakes 8)

Oh yeah....I had to use a cannister too

HP JUNKEY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2009
Buffalo NY
Camaroadam, That motor will last a long time and for the money, you got a deal!, I have a similar combo, 355, 9.5 to1 flat top Mahle hypereutectic pitons, completely balanced rotating assembly, old school cast iron GM 462 camel hump heads all done up. I picked my motor up for $400. It too is a USED circle track {ashphalt} motor and I spin i up to 6-7000 RPMS all the time and drive it on the street. This summer is the 5th yr. I will be running it with not 1 problem! Consider a stall between 3-3600 RPM. I have a 3400 in mine. My rearend is a 7.5"er going on its 5th yr behind this motor! I did put an Auborn posi, Richmond 4.11's and Moser axles to strenghten it , So far so good! If you want anymore specs about how I set up my drive train just PM me. MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD FLEX FAN!!, I learned the hard way, Can you say self destruction at 6500 RPMS!! Pics are on my photobucket page.
8 seconds flat in the 1/8th pullin up the left front wheel, all day long!!
here is a link to my photobucket page,
http://photobucket.com/HPJUNKEY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor