New door seals, need glue or sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorK

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2014
Lensvik, Norway
Hi!
I an in the process of changing the door weatherstrips/seals on my '88 SS. The rubber is fixed with screws in both ends, and plastic "pins". Do I need some kind og sealant or glue in addition to the plastic fasteners along the front, bottom and rear edge of the door? Anybody having done this before with experience and suggestions? :) The seals are from Metro by the way, and I have new seals for the T-top as well. Starting with the "easy part"! No rush, it is snowing here in Norway now....

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yes you will need weatherstripping glue, it is usually black or yellow and comes in a squeeze tube. Sadly aftermarket seals do not fit or seal as well as the old OEM seals.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
As someone above stated, you do need sealant. We have used 3M weatherstrip adhesive for years with no complaints. We have it in stock, or your local auto parts store may carry it as well. The best way to install is to apply a thin bead in the channel, allow a few minutes for it to get tacky, and then insert the rubber seal. New seals require some break-in time and you may need to adjust your windows as well.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor