New dual exhaust/emissions questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Hey everyone, got a 79 Monte, I'm thinking of ordering a new duel exhaust and headers kit from jegs. It's a bolt on deal set up. My only issue is I live in an emissions city and my car has a cat on it. The kit has no cats and not finding one that comes with them. I don't really want them anyway (who does). Are cats typically welded on? Besides trying to find someone who lives in a non emissions town to register it there, Is there anyway around this? I can get new better flowing cats if I have to but I'd rather not. I want to do as much work as I can on my own.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If the emission inspector is a stickler for the details, no dual system will pass the visual, as no G body was delivered with a true dual system, because GM never federally certified one that way.

IMO, it should just be a sniffer test to determine if the car is in or out of emissions spec....does it really matter how it got there. Too much like right, I guess.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Keep in mind, that if you're going to run a true dual exhaust setup on your car, that you're probably going to have some clearance issues between the left side exhaust pipe and the transmission crossmember, which will probably require either getting an aftermarket crossmember with a cutout for the left side exhaust pipe, or modifying your original crossmember to get some extra clearance for the left side exhaust pipe. As Ribbedroof has pointed out, GM never produced a '78-'88 A/G body car that had a true dual exhaust system from the factory, so they never made provision for an exhaust pipe running past the transmission on the left side of the car.
As for running an emission compliant system, you should be able to run dual aftermarket cats (check your local regulations first to be sure), that are either clamped or welded into the exhaust pipes. If you need to run a single type exhaust, you could use a system like what GM put on the later Monte SS/ Buick GN/ Hurst Olds/442. That would give you the look of dual exhausts, but be emission legal, and wouldn't require any changes to the transmission crossmember. You could either have the tailpipes exiting behind the rear wheels, or running all the way to the rear of the car.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have a bunch of 3" pipe, elbows and a single cat and muffler. I was going to try to fab a single exhaust using shorty air injection smog headers and a Flowmaster Y-pipe, following the same route as the stock exhaust all the way to the stock tailpipe location. I left emissions land and went the Jegs route.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
In the US, non factory dual exhausts are illegal in all 50 states, even with dual cats thanks to the 1990 clean air act. If your model of vehicle had dual exhaust as a factory option for the model of engine in the vehicle, then it is ok to install dual exhaust. As stated by others above, G bodies were never certified for dual exhaust, making them illegal. I don't know about your state, but with NJ inspections, they drive the car over a camera so they can easily inspect the exhaust on a video monitor.

RegMan79

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Well sh*t... I'm in Az. I think they check smog and use the sniffer. So I guess I'll be calling my uncle in another county and looking into the Trans crossmember. That really blows.. The car passed with flying colors already for the year so I have time.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Why not build a high flow single system?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
If your model of vehicle had dual exhaust as a factory option for the model of engine in the vehicle, then it is ok to install dual exhaust. As stated by others above, G bodies were never certified for dual exhaust, making them illegal.

How about if you do an engine change? Same or later year Corvette setup, for example. I think that would be legal in a G-body.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Check some forums in your state. There are guys who have duels in Arizona. I don't understand why you don't want cats on the car. They do nothing to impede performance unless you are constantly operating over 6,000 rpm

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you just want the look of true duals you can buy a factory Monte SS exhaust system and basically be a bolt on if you already have a 305 sbc.
On my Regal which has an Olds 307 I bought the 442 factory exhaust that bolts to the catalytic and then splits off and they exit after the rear tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor