New floorpan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Looks like I need to replace the floorpan. Its dotted with holes front to back.I was hoping some one could give me some advise and answer some questions. The bolts and brackets that hold the seats in do they come with a new floorpan. If not can those be purchased. I've never seen them listed for sale with floorpans. Any info on putting in new floorpans would be a help.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Most of the time, the brackets do not come with them. Neither does the crossmember that runs under the front seats. You will either need to deal with the ones you have or cut new ones from a junkyard donor. The pans are also not cheap new. You can expect to pay over $500 for the pair. For my money, I would bring some drill bits and a sawzall to the junkyard and cut one from a good donor-braces brackets and all then install it in my car. This would likely be cheaper ( and maybe easier) as a junkyard would probably want $100 for it and you would not have to add the seat brackets and crossmember. If you trimmed carefully enough, you could install it as GM did and have an invisible repair. Just don't expect it to be an afternoon project. You will likely have to pull the trans crossmember, driveshaft and preferably the whole interior before you start. If you do not remove the interior you will need to cover it up to prevent welding sparks from ruining it. You will also have to cover your windows. I did not cover the windows when replacing one seat bracket and installing a small patch and wound up pitting my glass before I realized what had happened. Just be sure the rest of the car is worth saving before you embark on this journey. If the frame or body tub is bad you would do well to seek out a better car than to try and deal with a lot of small rust repairs. Engine swaps are easy to do, rust repair is difficult when done properly and very expensive. I easily have twice as much money in my body and paint as I do in my engine, and I do all of my own work.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Thanks for the heads up. I'm definately going ahead with floorpan replace ment. the car has had a lot of engine, trans and clutch work done just recently. The body is in great shape and it is an original 79 factory 4 speed. I realize I'm probably spending a lot more than the car is worth but it's now a labor of love. I 'm surprised that the seat brackets are not made since if you replace the floor pan you probably need the other pieces. I may regret my decision while getting the repair done but It will all be worth it one I get the car back on the road.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's all a matter of preference. No old car should be built with the intention of recovering all of the money spent when you go to sell it. I just throw out the alternatives for those who do not have any love for the particular car they own and want a practical solution.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I know that Dixie Monte Carlo sells the inside seat brackets new. They would probably sell you the outside ones used, but you could get them from your local junkyard cheaper, or reuse yours if they are good. They are pretty easy to remove. Just drill out the spot welds.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, the innners are made of a thiner material than the outers are. I am in the middle of fixing the floors in mine had had to replace the inner rear ones.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
The new floor pans are ordered. We will try and reuse all the brackets that are in the car now. I'm in uncharted waters here. It's my first restoration. The last time I owned a car around this year was in 84.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
If they have some rust in em ,but arn't bad , coat the inside of the support rails with POR-15 ,and use u-pol weld through primer on the top surface where the pan meets the rail.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
I thought I would post an update on my floorpan replacement.
I decided to have a profesional do the work. I stripped the interior clean and dropped it off at the body shop. The left and right floorpans are in and it looks fantastic. The shelf that the back seat sits on has to be changed but that pan is not made aftermarket I have been told. I secured a junk 79 Grand Prix with a good rear shelf pan and that is being cut out and used.
My concern now is am I going to remember how all those interior pieces go back together? Does anyone know if there is a schematic breakdown some where on interiors.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They are sort of self-explanatory once you get into it. Here is how I would do it: Install the headliner and carpet first. The headliner should stay up with the clips on the sides of the door openings and the dome light holding them in place. Next up I would put the seat belt inertia reels in place followed by the parcel shelf and the little side pieces that go between the shelf and the upper quarter plastics. Then would come the edge pieces that go on the side of the dash followed by the dash. Next up would be the quarter plastics, then the dash.I don't remember if the front headliner trim goes under or over the A pillar trims, but if it is under then you would put that in next followed by the A pillar trims. The upper door opening moldings would come next then the B pillar trims and then the rear headliner edge trim. The kick panels could go in next then the door sill trim plates. The doors you can do whenever as they are not dependent on anything else. I think that is the proper sequence as best I can remember as it has been about 10 years and I may have mixed up one or two things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor