New fuel tank, fuel door wont close

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 Grey T

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2014
Just installed new fuel tank from Rockauto,(GM 307c) with new straps, spacers, hardware, ect. My fuel door will shut with fuel cap off ,.. but with cap on it stays open about an inch or 2. Looking from underneath the end of the filler neck almost hits the fuel door. Does anyone know of a slimmer, or not as tall fuel cap? Or have any ideas?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I bet the filler neck is sitting low in the opening, try bending the filler tube up and see if it clears.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Got a pic to show?

87 Grey T

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2014
No pic until later, but basicly the top of the filler neck is sitting where the fuel cap would be when on behind the fuel door. So the fuel door wont fully close. Im considering adding spacers between the 2 fuel door bolts.

Last edited:

87 Grey T

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2014
I bet the filler neck is sitting low in the opening, try bending the filler tube up and see if it clears.
It looks to be centered well when i open the fuel door. Im thinking with the new straps now it seems to habe pushe the tank back an inch or two.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No pic until later, but basicly the top of the filler neck is sitting where the fuel cap would be when on behind the fuel door. So the fuel door wont fully close. Im considering adding spacers between the 2 fuel door bolts.

gas tanks have been replaced thousands of times if not more with no issues with the gas door. Why don't you run the tank close to empty, lossen the straps and try to move the tank foward

87 Grey T

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2014
gas tanks have been replaced thousands of times if not more with no issues with the gas door. Why don't you run the tank close to empty, lossen the straps and try to move the tank foward
Tank hasnt had any fuel in it yet. Ill try adjusting it later. Id hate to mess with those straps again.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, it sucks, but you'll probably need to push the tank forward a bit. Just a bit though, so it's not needing much. Regardless, you'll have to mess with the strap bolts again. At least you just need to loosen them and not have to start from scratch. That's a worse PITA.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you do end up having to drop the tank again and haven't sealed the metal yet I clean the surface and paint the tank with a good paint so it won't rust out on you in a few years like mine did even thought my GP is parked in the winter

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Good points about the straps.
The front verticals should be vertical.
You can loosen one strap at a time and reform it.
P1120524.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor