MONTE CARLO New fuel tank replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
Purchased a fuel tank from Quanta many years ago. Seemed like a nice tank with a Ni-terne coating. I had just removed the tank due to rust (rust on the inside roof and inside seams). The rust floating around even destroyed the sending unit. Anyways, looking for a good replacement. Many places and different coatings. Spectra and Dorman seem to be the top runners. Sounds like Spectra tanks have a galvanized coating and Dorman have a silver ceramic like paint coating. I was going to order one from OPGI knowing that the quality would be decent, but they have no description on this. I would guess none of these tanks have an inside coating for corrosion. My corrosion was mainly due to condensation and crappy fuel, which I have resolved.

I am leaning towards the Dorman G-body tanks, any thought? It would be nice if a plastic/ABS tank was available.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Purchased a fuel tank from Quanta many years ago. Seemed like a nice tank with a Ni-terne coating. I had just removed the tank due to rust (rust on the inside roof and inside seams). The rust floating around even destroyed the sending unit. Anyways, looking for a good replacement. Many places and different coatings. Spectra and Dorman seem to be the top runners. Sounds like Spectra tanks have a galvanized coating and Dorman have a silver ceramic like paint coating. I was going to order one from OPGI knowing that the quality would be decent, but they have no description on this. I would guess none of these tanks have an inside coating for corrosion. My corrosion was mainly due to condensation and crappy fuel, which I have resolved.

I am leaning towards the Dorman G-body tanks, any thought? It would be nice if a plastic/ABS tank was available.
There's a guy selling some NOS with GM stickers monte carlo tanks. I'll check my saved pages and see if he's still got any. It was $250 each IIRC, but, that's not that high IMO for original.

If you can get a Canadian made spectra thank those are good quality, it was my go-to for regal and cutlass

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
There's a guy selling some NOS with GM stickers monte carlo tanks. I'll check my saved pages and see if he's still got any. It was $250 each IIRC, but, that's not that high IMO for original.

If you can get a Canadian made spectra thank those are good quality, it was my go-to for regal and cutlass
My replacement tank does not need to be NOS. I was just leaning towards OPGI because of their quality. But I did look at the Dorman tank from Amazon for only $111.00. I guess that's why I am leading towards that one from Dorman. Just looking for something that will last from moisture.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My replacement tank does not need to be NOS. I was just leaning towards OPGI because of their quality. But I did look at the Dorman tank from Amazon for only $111.00. I guess that's why I am leading towards that one from Dorman. Just looking for something that will last from moisture.
OK I won't bother then. Just a case where nos is the best replacement, but, I can get some guys wanting to buy the cheapest available

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011

How is the finish of the spectra tank? Inside and out?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This is mine when I installed it in Dec 2010..

GAS TANK2.JPG

GAS TANK.JPG

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Spectra tanks from the outside look very nice, at least the Cutlass ones do. The only thing is they have a Spectra stamping on them I believe on the driver side rear. But other than that, they resemble the GM tank very well. Probably a tad shinier and probably not as thick with the galvanizing as original, but still look pretty good. Cannot say how the inside looks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
How is the finish of the spectra tank? Inside and out?
If by finish you mean quality, it was very good last one I used about 4 years back. However, they shifted some model numbers to Taiwan instead of Canada, so, I'd pay attention to what they disclose on that front wherever you get it from.

Inside was just metal, no special painted coatings to speak of. Unlike the gm tanks, their FI tanks had slightly different baffles than gm, but, functionally are still good. I always get then with the filler neck attached as well for a variety of reasons, ranging from not needing to flush and clean the old gas vapor out as thoroughly or deal with contaminated water by filling the old tank up before cutting.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I've had a Spectra since 2008. I can't remember how much I paid at AutoZone for it. Also got the filler neck. Amazon has a lower price than both AZ and Advance.

Attachments

• 1678068902633.jpeg
    1678068902633.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Fuel Tank (14).jpg
    Fuel Tank (14).jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 users

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
OK I won't bother then. Just a case where nos is the best replacement, but, I can get some guys wanting to buy the cheapest available
You seemed to be happy with your spectra fuel cell. My understanding that these are galvanized versus painted like the Dorman tanks are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor