New G body owner - '85 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Hello everyone. Veteran car enthusiast and first time G body owner as of last week. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks and it seemed like I could never land a G body. Time has come. I found a gem. 1985 GP LE. 305, console w/bucket seats, 2.xx gear, one owner from an elderly lady who bought it new. 95k original miles. Car even has the original windshield and Delco radio and Factory speakers. Dash is 100/100. This car is beyond super clean. The engine bay is showing it's age though. Car runs great but it's going to be a garaged toy that I drive on the weekends to car shows and such. I want to keep the car as stock as possible from the outside. The interior is only getting new tint as I want the interior stock and it already has the console shifter. So that leaves powertrain.

Engine & Trans. I've been reading through the LS swap thread... lot of good info there. My brother had a LS1 Ram Air F body in the early 2000's. Good powerhouse. Don't know much about them after that other than I have a '14 GM truck with the 5.3L that is unreal. I'm also looking at a crate 350 with a 4 barrel as an option, such as a Edelbrock Estreet motor pkg. 315HP, fully assembled with carb. Third and final option is build the good running 305 that is there which is probably not going to happen. Each of these 3 options have pluses and minuses. I really need some input. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum. First thing you'll learn here, we REALLY like pics. Sounds like you've got a really nice car, we'd LOVE to see pics of it.

As far as engine swaps, the LS will take a little more parts, time and money but they are really easy to make power with and pretty reliable.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard! Thanks for actually posting an introduction... many new members seem too timid to do that. However, we'd very much like to see pics of your new gem.

• Agree

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I'll get a pic or two up tonight. I think this might be the less "fab happy" option. Price is right and HP is over what I want. The below build seems to be right on the money. Sounds dumb, but I don't want to hack this factory survivor to pieces to get a LS1 into it. I rather do the below with a built 200R-4 or 700R4.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0611em-vortec-small-block/

Vortecs are definitely an easy way to make decent power in an affordable package that will drop right in place of that 305. I'm planning on building one for my Monte Carlo.

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Here we go. Pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3717.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 179

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
After a lot of thinking I will be putting in a crate motor. My car is a weekend driver and I want dependability and nice driveability. Had my hotrods.
The crate motors have a good warranty and are reasonably priced

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
More pics! Here you go.... I have not even vacuumed the interior yet. I've washed the outside and vacuumed the trunk, that is the extent of what I have done thus far. Car was sold by a Pontiac dealer in Clearwater, FL on US 19. I have all the owner's manuals and books which are 98/100 condition. Car came with a shoebox FULL of records. I have a dealer RO from when the car had 600 miles on it and she took it back to have the radio bezel replaced due to peeling (typical 80's GM issues). Super happy with this find!!!!!!! That's why I'm hesitant to hack up a motor swap into it. There is a side of me that says just build the 305 and keep even more OG. And yes that is a Santa and Rudolph Christmas ornament that I found in the glove box. It is now the official car mascot widget. And I have been scrapping off a ton of AAA stickers... what is it with old people and those things. My god, she had two on the front side of the rear view mirror!!

Attachments

• IMG_3718.JPG
    IMG_3718.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    970.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    984.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 196
Reactions: 4 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Beautiful! All those records are sweet too. You definitely found a gem. Is the underside that clean as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor