EL CAMINO New gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Leonardo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2018
I purchased a new gas tank, straps, and rubber insulators for my 81. The problem is that the straps aren't even close to being able to meet the forward bolt holes. The rubber insulators are ridiculously thick, so I took them off. I measured the thickness of my original 17 gallon tank and also the mounting straps. Everything is exact, but there is no way the straps will reach. Anyone else have this problem or have any advice? Thanks.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i wasn't able to use the rubber straps either,i ended up using strips of sound deadner.you could use anything rubber based that's thinner and it'll still work.ice and water shield,bike tube anything rubber will deliver the same results as the strips.i ended up removing the cage nuts up front and using nuts and long bolts to get the straps where they need to be then removed them and replaced the hardware.still it was a pain in the tank but it worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor