New GP owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
Nice to see a site dedicated to these cars! I used to hang out at montecarloss.com but haven't in a few years since the GP project has been on hold and I've been busy with an 84 Z28.

Here is the current project as it looked during some test fitting of the new body panels back in 2003:

ext_before_paint_3.jpg

The short summary - 85 GP, 2+2 nose conversion, custom fiberglass rear spoiler, F-body power mirrors, Caprice headlamps. 400 Pontiac, Th200R4 trans, 8.5" 3.73 rear, lots of suspension work, Autometer dash, etc. There are more details and more pictures here: http://www.motortopia.com/album/browse/ ... le/v/10242

I've owned a bunch of GPs - 81, 82, 83, two 84s, the current 85 and an 86. My very first project car was this 83 GP which my uncle and I built in '89 from a metallic brown turd into this:
83_GP_1990_A.jpg

My favorite one though, other than my current car was my 84 LE t-top car
84_GP_1992.jpg

More pictures here:
http://www.motortopia.com/vehicles/brow ... /mid/10556

Don

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
Welcome to the site!

Nice GPs, though I have to ask... yellow? Why...?

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Looks nice where you get the wilwoods from and how long it take you to get 2+2 front end to fit good.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Welcome aboard.

Is that a Lauren nose?

Someday I am going to build a GP based on the rendering in HPP. Kinda what "could have been".

Copyof80sHurstGrandPrixSSJ1.jpg

You should also,move/copy this to the GP section.

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
Derision said:
Welcome to the site!

Nice GPs, though I have to ask... yellow? Why...?

That car was painted in 1989....it seemed like the right thing to do at the time!! Bright colors were in....

andrewmp6 - I built the Wilwood setup from scratch. I detailed the build-up in this thread over at montecarloss.com. There is a guy named Ed Miller on that board who is now selling a bracket kit to do the same thing.

I don't know how long it took to get the Lauren 2+2 nose to fit - I lost track - but it was significant. I'm sure the cost to pay someone to make it fit right would have exceeded the cost of the parts, and the parts aren't cheap.

[/url][/quote]

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I love your GP project! Too cool, performance oriented, unique. I really like the 2+2 nose, the wheels, spoiler, mirrors, engine choice, rear, transmission. You have put some thought and work into this one. If it was another half cooked redneck build with sbc, 3 speed, Holley and old corvette ralleys Id be like BFD. What color is it going to be & are you going to put the 2+2 stickers on it? Is the engine a pump gas build? Give us some info. I like the Butler aftermarket stroker crank 400 builds. If memory serves me alot of them are like 474ci. Any particular goals for the car HP TQ ET MPH octane driveability mileage etc?

I built a mild Cadillac 509ci & put it in a Cutlass now being moved to a 442. Some unique features are a built 200-4r with funtioning lock up, electric in-tank fuel pump with Q-jet, electric fans, functioning tach & oil pressure gauges in 442 ralley guage pack with the Cad. Widened factory 442 ralleys, Hurst Olds style hood made functional, custom headers, 36mm hollow sway bar from a 90s WS6 TA .

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
those are some nice GP's! 8) welcome to the site!

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
Vern,
The car will be painted dark metallic blue, right now leaning towards GM code 25U which is called "Deep" when used on the Pontiac Solstice (its also used on some 2006-up Chevy trucks). I won't sticker it up as a 2+2...not sure what I'll do in that regard but it will be pretty minimalist for sure.

The motor is pretty mild. At the time I built the motor in 1996 I was planning to use the car as more of a daily driver, and I was living in Connecticut and had to deal with emissions testing. I built the motor with that in mind – a mild cam (068 Ram Air cam), 8.7:1 CR, EGR intake, dual cats etc. Its a very nice running motor – broad powerband, smooth idle at 750 rpm, runs on pump gas.....but time and technology have moved on in the last 12 years. Once the car is back from paint and I get it all sorted out, I'll probably just drive it for a while and enjoy it as is (the motor still has less than 1000 miles on it). But I've been collecting parts for the next motor – the key ingredients being a Motec EFI system and a pair of GT28 turbos – with the goal of going mid 11s on pump gas and keeping the same idle quality and driveability I have today. I've got extensive experience with boosted motors in my day job (powertrain research at Ford)....if we can push Mustangs out the door with 550 hp from 330 cubic inches (with a warranty and clean emissions) then there is no reason 406 inches can't do something similar with the right application of modern technology!

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Vern said:
If it was another half cooked redneck build with sbc, 3 speed

wow, i have never been refered to as a redneck before.......

i like the car, i dont know what those wheels are but i am liking them!

um.... redneck pride!!!!! i guess............. very interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor