New Guy, 1981 Regal Ltd -WHEEL UPDATE! 11/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010
Lurking for a few days now, stuck my nose in a few places, figured I'd show you my Regal so you know I am for real :mrgreen:

Started out life as a '81 Ltd, hard top. Been slightly modified as you will see. I traded a set of SBC heads for this car, which was a sweet deal, since I worked in an engine machine shop.
I have some before photos someplace I'll have to find them and scan them in. Anyhow, this car has been a labor of love. I started on it in 2001, built a 350 Chevy engine, TH350 trans and installed and got it running. Then, I found some 2:73 gears on a posi center for free, so out came the 2:41's. Not much of a gear, but I drive reasonable and this was to be a driver, so everything is done for durability and gas mileage. While the rear was out, all new urethane bushings where installed, as well as a rear sway bar scrounged in a local bone yard.
All urethane bushings in the front end as well, all new steering components, complete new brakes front to rear, springs, shocks, everything under the car was new. Drove it tilled it snowed, and then it sat for 8 years while I bought and rand the engine shop I was working in. No time for toys at this point. so it sat, got pushed around, & sat some more. finally last spring, I pulled it out of the tent and started the body work. The results are seen below, shaved bumpers, shaved door handles locks, trunk lock shaved. GN style ground effects from Lauren Engineering fitted, and installed after paint. THE nose has been restyled, the huge chrome "Buick" emblem removed and the hole fiberglassed and reshaped to resemble the Later GN nose. Much cleaner appearance. She's straight, clean & smooth, runs like a watch and turns heads everywhere she goes. I cannot stop at a gas station or store without being accosted by some one wanting to talk about my Monte Carlo :roll: Jackasses. :blam:

Here's some photos:

regal1.jpg

regal2.jpg

regal3.jpg

regal4.jpg

regal5.jpg

restyled nose, has not been buffed since painting, so it still appears a tad "orangy"
regal6.jpg

regal7.jpg

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010
Re: New Guy, My 1981 Regal Ltd

Interior shots, all original except for the gauges mounted where the clock never was, and a tach under the dash. Still looking for the plastic covers for the door pull straps and making a shift knob

inright.jpg

inleft.jpg

dash.jpg

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010

Dig them sexy hub caps rollin' on 14's? :mrgreen:

Front end has been lowered 2-1/2 inches. I used the Olds diesel springs in the front and wacked just over a coil off. Right stance and great cornering resulted, with the camber curve coming in correctly. It no longer does the side to side swish when encountering a pothole. It rides a little rougher than the stock springs, but I like the handling much better.

jade81olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2009
MI

CAR LOOKS darn good. you may need to look into some GN wheels for that thing, though. I like factory wheels and think any buick rally would look great on that car. lookin good in green, though.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

nice lookin ride! 8) I may have to "borrow" the idea on filling the chrome buick bar above the grille.. very nicely done!

BTW, I like the "mini-me" on the dash! :wink:

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010

Thanks for the comments guys,
I may have found some Telstars, 15x7 & 15x8 for the car. That should make a big appearance improvement

87REGALPRO

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2010

Nice Regal! I'd put pix up of mine But I'm still under heavy construction although everyone who sees it tells me it looks nice. I'm just picky about the 2 olds rally, 1 buick rally, and 1 steel rim mismatch I got going on. :p

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY

Nice Regal and welcome to the site. May I suggest just one thing that will greatly improve the looks? I would suggest to get a set of GN front air dams. You can get them from Kirban Performance for around 90 bucks for the pair. Would fill out the front end nicely as it did mine.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA

do something about the wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor