new guy, 87 442 Chicagoland

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
sup fellas? I just picked up this 87 442 with 135k on the dash for a great price. one owner car, small rust bubbles on the bottom of the doors. no trim on the body, which leads me to believe its been painted. but I've seem both trim and no trim 87 442's. slow poke stock 307 needing a tune up and some love. and a small bump in the front bumper cause some paint chipping on the bumper. needs weather stripping throughout. and the damn power seat wont move forward.. anyone got a link to a thread on that by chance??

-NickG

Attachments

• IMG_9134.JPG
    IMG_9134.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 384

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Nice, car!
Looks to be a repaint, color isn't factory, looks much darker than the standard Teal Metallic and the stripes look like pinstripe tape instead of the wide factory decal with body color background.
All 442's came with the side adhesive moldings although Olds did have a bulletin in '85 to get dealerships to remove the side moldings in '85 to get a better look and increase sales probably... didn't last I suppose if they kept them on through '86 and '87 models.

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
Thanks, heres another pic showing the dark teal metallic, but probably was repainted (pin striping).

are any 350 accessories adaptable to fit the 307? or do I need 307 specific like distributer, wires, valve cover gaskets, carb..

THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_9117.JPG
    IMG_9117.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 324
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The valve covers and plug wires are the same. Unfortunately you have the crappy swirl port heads and intake. It uses different spark plugs, has tiny ports and 8 to 1 compression. You need to change the distributor and carb together but there won't be any gains if everything is working properly.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Beautiful car. I just bought a 442 myself. I think you have a repaint. The silver bottom doesn't reach the stripes. The silver sits right below it. I may be wrong though. Either way the paint looks nice. Do what you can to the 307. Don't bother changing hard parts like heads, intake, Headers etc. I just took my 307 and woke it up with plugs, wires, HEI, cap, rotor, ignition module, fuel filter, set TV cable, and adjust timing. Best it's going to get. Best part is if you decide to swap a 350 rocket All the parts interchange.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Boy1duh

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2016
Welcome...I'm in the chi area also nice car!!! Stock paint or not it's clean good buy good luck on putting your touches on

• Agree

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
hey oldsone that's exactly what Id like to do to mine. did all your parts come from one source? how do I know that the part is specifically for the 307? I see a lot of compatable engines for some parts.. thanks, Nick

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
hey oldsone that's exactly what Id like to do to mine. did all your parts come from one source? how do I know that the part is specifically for the 307? I see a lot of compatable engines for some parts.. thanks, Nick

Most of the parts came from SUMMITRACING.COM if you want I can post up a list of part#'s so you can get an idea.

• Useful

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
oldsone - that would be great my man. didn't want to come on too strong and request all that info off the bat. I'd REALLY appreciate that.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
oldsone - that would be great my man. didn't want to come on too strong and request all that info off the bat. I'd REALLY appreciate that.

Ignition module:
PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignition Modules D2001

Wires:
ACCEL SuperStock Spiral Core 5000 Series Spark Plug Wire Sets 5053K

Cap Rotor Coil Kit:
Davis Unified Ignition Street/Strip Coil Kits 240001RD

Spark plugs:
ACDelco RAPIDFIRE Performance Platinum Spark Plugs 19307138

Set your TV cable after everything and time it.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor