New Guy 88 Monte Carlo SS LS3/4L80

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningMike

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2020
Just found this site. Just had an LS3/4L80 put in my car. A friend just started a shop and did the install for me. I don't know if he's on here, but he has a nice boosted LS in a GN.

n90.jpg

ls3_2.jpg

Start Up

Reactions: 14 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Was the LS3 a crate engine or a salvage motor? How did you choose a 4L80 over another transmission? I like the AC setup.

LS2 donor across the street...

Reactions: 1 user

LightningMike

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2020
Was the LS3 a crate engine or a salvage motor? How did you choose a 4L80 over another transmission? I like the AC setup.

LS2 donor across the street...
It was a crate engine. The project started with a salvage LQ4, but the motor ended up with zero oil pressure, bad cam bearings, and lifters. I decided to just get a crate LS3. The 4L80 was recommended to me over the 4L60 for durability. I didn't have experience with either. So far so good with the salvaged 4L80. Shifts strong.

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It was a crate engine. The project started with a salvage LQ4, but the motor ended up with zero oil pressure, bad cam bearings, and lifters. I decided to just get a crate LS3. The 4L80 was recommended to me over the 4L60 for durability. I didn't have experience with either. So far so good with the salvaged 4L80. Shifts strong.
I'm running a salvage yard 4L80 with supposedly 115k on the clock. The fluid was clean, I put a Transgo HD2 kit in it, good converter and sent. Shifts are on point and OD is nice to have again after years of running a TH350.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Very clean showroomish - I like it.

Daily, cruise in or some trips to the track?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor