New guy, first G-body/project car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrodeur79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2019
Edmonton, AB
Hi Everyone,
I just recently purchased my first G-Body! A 1979 Cutlass Supreme with a 305 and 350 auto. The VIN checks out as an original 305 car made at the Ste-Therese plant in Quebec! Im very excited to get some issues fixed up, the car cleaned up and to bring her back to her former glory. The panels are straight and rust free, frame solid, and almost everything seems to work or i have gotten to work with some simple fixes. She had the white paint garage sprayed on but i want to bring it all back to the original brown (Im guessing the previous owner wanted to make it look like a Hurst?)

This car is quite a few years older than me, but in talking with people i know, it seems almost everyone or there friends or family had a G-body at some point in there lives. Just excited to get out and cruise with it!

This forum has been a great resource already and will be as long as i have a G-body in my garage!

The picture of Pamela on the trailer for her trip home! (Named Pamela for the vintage plastic "P" keychain that came with the keys for the car haha)

IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_1984.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I like the 1978-1980 body style. I also like the 2-tone paint from back then. Don't get to carried away. Make a plan then stick to it. Watch out for "MAW" or better known as "Might As Well". Thats when you go to change the air filter and you say, Might As Well, next thing you know you've pulled the whole drivetrain out. Good luck

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

abrodeur79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2019
Edmonton, AB
Thanks Kenny! I am a fan of the 2 tone as well. Considering it was a garage paint job with spray bombs, the last owner did a decent job of it. I think I would like to get it resprayed the factory brown and then perhaps have my brother in law vinyl wrap the car to make it into a 2 tone. Then it can be removed or changed fairly easily and keeps the car somewhat original.

I will be careful and watch for symptoms of MAW hahaha.

Reactions: 1 user

McGillicutty

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2018
Oshawa, Ontario
Welcome! Love your two tone paint. I've read some bad things about Ste. Therese quality but so far my Ste. Therese car has been great.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor