New Guy with a 1983 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimus8

n00b
Jul 29, 2012
So I'm the new owner of a 1983 Buick Regal and I'm still learning as I go because I'm not a mechanic by trade. The car runs but needs several things done so I just need some input and a little direction. The previous owner dropped a 305 Chevy Motor and a 350 Turbo transmission in it but did a less than quality job. The transmission leaks when its sitting and it appeared the deter cable bolt was loose so I tightened that guy up so I think that was the majority of the leak. So my questions about the deter cable is it doesn't seem to shift to a lower gear when I stomp the gas so how do I adjust it and/or replace it? Do I drop the pan and its easy to disconnect after I drop the pan if I chose to replace it or probably just try adjusting it by the throttle body?

However, the other side of the transmission appears to be leaking by the shift linkage. Is there a seal inside the pan for this shift linkage that's easy to replace after I drop the pan?

Another issue is that the front end seems too low and the passenger tire sometimes rubs if I hit a :bump: in the road. I think the rocket scientists that dropped in the new motor left the original suspension from the V-6 and that's not adequate for the new motor. Do I just have to swap out the coil springs and shocks? If so any recommendation on what kind of coil springs and shocks I should get to replace the old ones?

Thanks for the advice.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
welcome. yes there is a seal for the shifter shaft about 3.00 bucks. but you got to install it properly. i replace 3 of them then found out the shaft was wore. 175.00 to fix that. as far as springs yes you need some good v8 springs.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Moog 5658s and 5606s are good spring choices. The 5658 will sit a little lower. I've got Monroe Sensatracks on mine and I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor