New guy with a lost and found

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
I had this happen purchasing a Z28 a few years ago - bought it from a guy who never titled it in his name, even though he had started to fill out the back under the buyer. We went to the DMV anyway and they said no, since he had started, he'd have to actually title and transfer, fine whatever. Went to mail him all the paperwork (was about an hour and a half drive, didn't want to do that just for the paperwork and it wasn't an immediate thing that we had to do. And it got stuck and then SHREDDED in the post office machine in town. Which meant we needed it from the PRIOR owner, who the guy we bought it from could no longer contact, etc.

What the DMV office in Albany had us do, was to send a certified letter to the previous owner, and then they had I think it was 30 days to reply (they didn't, obviously) at which point the DMV put in a claim to have the car basically treated as abandoned to us (or however it was, I wasn't the one handling all the running around). They expedited it for us, and we had a title in our name in a few weeks. Sold the car the week after, ironically lol.

And since there was never a change of title or ownership from the storage unit being auctioned since they're pretty low key up here and just sold it "as is", and the buyer never started any steps, it's basically that she left the car when she moved out 10 years ago, and no longer wants it. I'll likely have to have her refuse another certified letter (obviously she will, I'll even shoot her husband a note letting him know to just ignore it and not respond, since they have no interest anyway), and so on and so on. Plenty of time for it, since I don't plan on doing anything work-wise until spring anyway. Still have my boat to care for launching, getting a new daily and so on anyway.

Would be lying a bit if I said I wasn't a little excited though :)

Reactions: 2 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Not sure her husband would go for it, and he's not my type so I think a group hug is out lol. I'm a weird strange non-believer of karma. I do try to help out people I can and so on, and everyone always says how that's good Karma, though I have yet to be on the receiving end of any, but I don't do it with expectations. And in this case, even though she also left the car, I do feel responsible that the car was lost. While I know I could just buy the car and keep it anyway, and go through the hoops of getting a title as abandoned and all that, I think it should be her choice, because it was her car, and her grandmother's, and to me it just feels the right thing to do. I am able to do it, afford to do it without hurting my own situation, and would make me feel good inside to be able to be "Hey, I found your car, and you deserve to have it back". Don't care if she takes the keys and never says another word, I just want to do what feels right :)
awesome story! not many people with good values left. its the right thing to do and if it makes you feel good, then thats all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor