New guy with a question

My791904

n00b
Jun 6, 2023
What’s up, my name is Frank so I just barley got this 1979 buick regal limited 3.8 v6 turbo

She’s having trouble accelerating.
I’m new under the hood n don’t really know what’s going on mechanically wise. But I just want to know where I should be looking . Because I want to learn to work on the regal myself….if that makes sense. Haha

Thanks

IMG_4547.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Engine is simple... gas, spark, and air. Start there and make sure you have enough fuel pressure, make sure you're getting gas in the cylinders, make sure you're spark plugs are good and the wires are good. Ignition Coil and Distrubitor is good also.

After that it's into the Transmission.

Reactions: 1 users

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I agree, start simple check dist cap and rotor, then maybe fuel filter.

Reactions: 1 users

My791904

n00b
Jun 6, 2023
Changing the spark plugs tomorrow n then on to the distributor cap and rotor . This is what I’m dealing with.

Can I get this red intake out of the way and replace it with a Edelbrock air filter?
I have a turbo in this
Would it be a simple swap out ?

Attachments

• IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4945.jpeg
    IMG_4945.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
sharp looking car !

and my simple answer on the red intake.....No!

Reactions: 1 user

KgsTurboRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2023
Removing the red air cleaner isn’t a wise idea. You have a “hot-air” turbo that utilizes a “blow-thru” carb. You really need to join a hot-air group, they can steer you in the correct direction. I had a hot-air turbo motor that my pops put into my ‘83 regal, and it was a ton of fun back in the day. I now have an Intercooled ‘87 Turbo T.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If'n I were you, I would focus on getting what you have fixed to your liking FIRST. Maybe some day, after you learn your car and get everything working well together, you can start adding all that high-dollar stuff that seems cool but doesn't do squat to help your current situation. FIND AND FIX THE ISSUES and then you know your baseline. Max out what you have, and then and only then, start worrying about mods. If you don't know what the parts do for you, you'll just be throwing money under the hood for no apparent reason. You might get lucky, but more times than not, you won't. And even possibly make things worse. I suggest getting a Chassis Service Manual (CSM) for your car. That's one of the first things I would do.

And just a thought. Folk lore and remembering sh*t from yesteryear does funny things to your mind. Your car was ALWAYS faster years ago. Or seemed like it, anyway. Just because it's a turbo doesn't automatically mean it's going to shred tires. Just placing that out there. "trouble accelerating" can cover a massive amount of issues. But do what the other guys already suggested first. Cheap and non-time-consuming things are great places to start. My first thought was whacked ignition timing, dirty fuel filter (or plugged fuel pickup) or weak fuel pump. But I don't know crap about typical turbo cars' problems. The turbo guys probably will have the best answers for you.

Reactions: 2 users

KgsTurboRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2023
If'n I were you, I would focus on getting what you have fixed to your liking FIRST. Maybe some day, after you learn your car and get everything working well together, you can start adding all that high-dollar stuff that seems cool but doesn't do squat to help your current situation. FIND AND FIX THE ISSUES and then you know your baseline. Max out what you have, and then and only then, start worrying about mods. If you don't know what the parts do for you, you'll just be throwing money under the hood for no apparent reason. You might get lucky, but more times than not, you won't. And even possibly make things worse. I suggest getting a Chassis Service Manual (CSM) for your car. That's one of the first things I would do.

And just a thought. Folk lore and remembering sh*t from yesteryear does funny things to your mind. Your car was ALWAYS faster years ago. Or seemed like it, anyway. Just because it's a turbo doesn't automatically mean it's going to shred tires. Just placing that out there. "trouble accelerating" can cover a massive amount of issues. But do what the other guys already suggested first. Cheap and non-time-consuming things are great places to start. My first thought was whacked ignition timing, dirty fuel filter (or plugged fuel pickup) or weak fuel pump. But I don't know crap about typical turbo cars' problems. The turbo guys probably will have the best answers for you.
GREAT explanation!!!! What I will add, is only do 1 thing at a time!!!!! Changing multiple things at once will only have you chasing your tail, especially with a turbo motor. It’s been 28 years since I had my hot-air turbo motor, and pops was still alive, and did multiple things to it, he had it tweaked with old friends help from the NASCAR (ARCA) world since they ran Buick V6’s. For its time, it was pretty damn quick and couldn’t keep tires on it. And making 5.25 an hour didn’t help either, LOL

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor