New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Welcome from SW Georgia. Enjoy your ride because it is a nice one and on your want list. A good deal is when the seller and buyer are not happy but the deal goes through.
Congrats

Reactions: 1 user

ednagel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2020
Warrenton, Virginia
It's still likely the nicest original 85 442 out there. I'm going to have to go through mine, but I put 60K miles on it since new. At one point, it was my only car, so I didn't have much choice.

If the power antenna runs constantly, it's more likely the nylon actuator cable has snapped. A common problem with those things.

Don't get rid of it anytime soon. When going through mine, I may need some photographic help.

Well, like I said before, only the battery, oil and oil filter has been changed. Even the tires are original. The original floor mats are in the trunk and I just removed the plastic from the carpet this past weekend. The original owner has documented every single little thing done to it. I am very pleased with the car in spite of the few warts that it has. And other than the antenna, EVERYTHING works. Even the shocks hold air.

The fuse has been pulled on the antenna because the motor ran all of the time. I figured it was the nylon cable. And yes, a common problem even for new antennas that were made a long time ago. Was looking at the metal cable for rebuild - Kirban Performance - Antenna Rebuild

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A little note about the shocks. There isn't anything in the owner's manual or nothing included with the car to tell you that you need to have a MINIMUM air pressure in the air shocks. It's 10 psi minimum, and 90 psi maximum. That's what the service guys told me and it's also in the chassis service manual.

• Informative

ednagel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2020
Warrenton, Virginia
A little note about the shocks. There isn't anything in the owner's manual or nothing included with the car to tell you that you need to have a MINIMUM air pressure in the air shocks. It's 10 psi minimum, and 90 psi maximum. That's what the service guys told me and it's also in the chassis service manual.

Good to know... thanks so much!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I was in my late 20s in 1985. I sat in these cars almost everyday for 6 months. Constant trips to the dealership... annoying the salesman as often as I could... so when I saw this one a couple weeks ago... I just couldn't pass it up.

I chuckled when I read this as it reminded me of myself. I was the same way at our local Grand Oldsmobile dealer in Wyoming Michigan. I remember drooling over all the 1986 442's on the lot but man they were expensive.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, sure is a head turner

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor