MALIBU New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020

Hi All!
I've been lurking here for a while. I bought my 1978 Malibu almost exactly a year ago, so I figured I should make this official. I've been working on this thing most of the year, removing almost every moving part on the chassis. Then I started putting stuff back on, which in most cases was much easier. Except for front coils, which aged me a few years.
I did:
2004 5.3
4L60E
Quick Performance 9" with 3.70
UMI suspension all the way around
Lowering springs (front coils, worst job in the world)
All new fuel system
Disc brakes
All Holley swap stuff
PST drive shaft
16 inch Torq Thrust wheels
I still have to do the exhaust, the cooling fans, and the intake. Oh, and I need to flip the front sway bar that my son and I put on upside down. Got it running two weeks ago, but I stalled (my project, that is) when I ran out of ready cash. So close!
I also have some surface rust, clean interior, and a couple of rust holes in the floor pans. I don't know of I'll ever deal with the body or not. It looks pretty cool in the shape it's in. I have a few build photos, but here's the car:
20200904_113836.jpg

I still have some electrical stuff and the gas pedal to do. At any rate, I'm glad to finally introduce myself to the group. You've all given me a lot of help and inspiration- thank you all! Cheers!
Rob
Central Michigan

Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome, fix the body. After all that work and money, you have to go all out.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
You're probably right. I'm running out of ways to spend money on mechanical stuff. I'd like to do a cam first though. Body isn't bad, rust in the usual places. Floorboards, under the doors, rear quarters, stuff like that. Good reason to buy a welder I guess

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If it's solid enough to enjoy safely now, get the drivetrain finished & reap the swap benefits for some miles while planning the 'plan' for body/sheet-metal repairs. Trying to get it all done while maintaining a budget has killed many projects. It looks pretty clean as-is. Take some time to recharge your 'batteries' & enjoy it for a season.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks, that's good advice. I've been watching this forum for a while, and there has been quite a few threads about guys that started these projects and then you never see them again. It's no wonder - I'm easily 15K in, and I'm just messing around with this thing.
My grandma had a '78 or '79 Regal, and I used to think that was cool until the mid 80's Regals came out (I was born in 1972), then I really fell in love. It's never gone away. I've loved Gbodys before I even knew what a Gbody was. Three years ago I broke my leg, very severely, in a ski accident. I realized life is too short to not go for it. This thing has been a lot of fun, and only a little frustrating. My wife is on board too, which makes all the difference. Also a great way to spend more time with my youngest son, who is a car guy too. I don't do Facebook - to much BS. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community where at least the BS is about something we all love.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks, that's good advice. I've been watching this forum for a while, and there has been quite a few threads about guys that started these projects and then you never see them again. It's no wonder - I'm easily 15K in, and I'm just messing around with this thing.
My grandma had a '78 or '79 Regal, and I used to think that was cool until the mid 80's Regals came out (I was born in 1972), then I really fell in love. It's never gone away. I've loved Gbodys before I even knew what a Gbody was. Three years ago I broke my leg, very severely, in a ski accident. I realized life is too short to not go for it. This thing has been a lot of fun, and only a little frustrating. My wife is on board too, which makes all the difference. Also a great way to spend more time with my youngest son, who is a car guy too. I don't do Facebook - to much BS. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community where at least the BS is about something we all love.
Sound like a younger version of me. Passionate about cars in general & loved hot-rods. When the 78's hit the street it was love @ first sight. I felt these cars were the 'new' version of the '55 Chevy & I was only 12 @ the time.

Wife being on-board is def a plus & having your kids involved is GREAT quality time + educational for them. Plant that seed.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
By all means take your time according to budget. A welder is a dam good investment. In 20 years mines paid for itself many times over. It was even necessary when putting the addition on my house. I’ve got between $15-20,000 in my custom El Camino wagon so far, and I’ve still got the interior and paint to finish. It’s been a 4 year project as of this week.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, looks like a nice ride and we could use some more pics. I also like the car and what you have done with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor