New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I’ll get some pics up as soon as I get home, traveling for work, scored 2 wagons while I was here one being the wagon with the straight 6.
Absolutely show us what you came across in your travels. .

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Get the 6 running and pretty it up. Everyone has an LS or a small block. I haven't seen a 6cyl in a long time. At a show last week there was a Chevy II with an Iron Duke 4cyl that everyone gathered around as if it was the Holy Grail!

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Get the 6 running and pretty it up. Everyone has an LS or a small block. I haven't seen a 6cyl in a long time. At a show last week there was a Chevy II with an Iron Duke 4cyl that everyone gathered around as if it was the Holy Grail!
I agree, man. The straight 6 isn't as common as they used to be. I remember seeing a Chevy II at one of the local car shows years ago. It had a straight 6 with a 4-bbl carb and headers and it sounded pretty tough. Sometimes what's old is new again.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I agree, man. The straight 6 isn't as common as they used to be. I remember seeing a Chevy II at one of the local car shows years ago. It had a straight 6 with a 4-bbl carb and headers and it sounded pretty tough. Sometimes what's old is new again.
Clifford Research made a lot of parts for the sixes. Some went as far as mating two small block heads with one cyl cut off!

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Clifford Research made a lot of parts for the sixes. Some went as far as mating two small block heads with one cyl cut off!
When I was in high school, a kid had a 55 Chevy with a Ford Econoline front axle and a white fiberglass tilt front end. Running a 292 with two Webers and headers and a bunch of internals! He put many a Muscle car V8 to shame on Euclid Avenue from what was then Manner's to the next light (about 1/4 mile). He couldn't run at Dragway 42 cause it didn't have all the safety stuff that was required at the time. The kid was Hispanic so the car was named Cara Palida (Pale Face) due to the unpainted white front end. It ran a fender well header just on the driver's side. I remember the decal 6=8 on the rear side glass.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I was in high school, a kid had a 55 Chevy with a Ford Econoline front axle and a white fiberglass tilt front end. Running a 292 with two Webers and headers and a bunch of internals! He put many a Muscle car V8 to shame on Euclid Avenue from what was then Manner's to the next light (about 1/4 mile). He couldn't run at Dragway 42 cause it didn't have all the safety stuff that was required at the time. The kid was Hispanic so the car was named Cara Palida (Pale Face) due to the unpainted white front end. It ran a fender well header just on the driver's side. I remember the decal 6=8 on the rear side glass.
Sounds like we came from the same era of straight front axle gassers. That '55 sounded like a bad *ss with the 292 cu in six. dual Webers, headers, etc.
I do recall seeing them with multi carb setups, but not running Weber carbs. Hot rodded Tri-five Chevys were the norm at the time.
I did like gassers and altereds of that era. I know I'm dating myself.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Sounds like we came from the same era of straight front axle gassers. That '55 sounded like a bad *ss with the 292 cu in six. dual Webers, headers, etc.
I do recall seeing them with multi carb setups, but not running Weber carbs. Hot rodded Tri-five Chevys were the norm at the time.
I did like gassers and altereds of that era. I know I'm dating myself.
My 1st car was the push car for Stone, Woods and Cook (41 Willys Gasser) 406 Galaxie 4 speed with a wood front push bumper. They would come from CA to Ohio to race in the summertime and had an apartment behind our house in Euclid OH. It ran a 392 Hemi as well as an Olds.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My 1st car was the push car for Stone, Woods and Cook (41 Willys Gasser) 406 Galaxie 4 speed with a wood front push bumper. They would come from CA to Ohio to race in the summertime and had an apartment behind our house in Euclid OH. It ran a 392 Hemi as well as an Olds.
Wow!! There's a little bit of history right there. Talk about the days of gasser wars. Stone, Woods, and Cook was an iconic '41 Willys. Powered by a blown 392 Hemi. Ohio George Montgomery was another famous Willys driver, with his '33 Willys. B&M Hydrosticks and Vitar Automatics were becoming the rage at the time.
That's cool that you once owned the push car for Stone, Woods. and Cook. 406 Galaxie. 4-spd. was a pretty cool car in it's own rite. Was it the tri-power version?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Wow!! There's a little bit of history right there. Talk about the days of gasser wars. Stone, Woods, and Cook was an iconic '41 Willys. Powered by a blown 392 Hemi. Ohio George Montgomery was another famous Willys driver, with his '33 Willys. B&M Hydrosticks and Vitar Automatics were becoming the rage at the time.
That's cool that you once owned the push car for Stone, Woods. and Cook. 406 Galaxie. 4-spd. was a pretty cool car in it's own rite. Was it the tri-power version?
It was the plain Galaxie (not 500) 2 door post bench seat no options except engine/trans and posi. Not even a radio! TriPower, valve covers said "Thunderbird" It was black with white top. Sold it in late 69 to buy an LS6 forest green Chevelle, traded it in in 81 to buy a white Vette that I still have.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It was the plain Galaxie (not 500) 2 door post bench seat no options except engine/trans and posi. Not even a radio! TriPower, valve covers said "Thunderbird" It was black with white top. Sold it in late 69 to buy an LS6 forest green Chevelle, traded it in in 81 to buy a white Vette that I still have.
So, the Galaxie was your typical stripped high performance version, no bells and whistles. More like a factory, plain Jane race car. Comparable to a Chevy Biscayne or Bel Air of that era equipped with a 409, 4-spd. ..or Plymouth Belvedere with a 383 or 426 Hemi. Got to love the old sleepers of yesteryear. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor