new here,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
Love the car. Sandy soil? You're by the beach! Lucky feller.
ha ha, no not at the beach. i live by the Edisto river and on a sandy hill. i just built the cabin 3 years ago and the grass hasn't grown back in the front completely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 1 user

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Awesome car! My dad and I are restoring an 88 ourselves. We just upgraded the carb, intake and added headers but the transmission needs to be adjusted. It shifts too early and appears to be bogging the car down in power. What’s the easiest way to adjust the transmission?

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
well if it shifts to early the tv cable needs to be adjusted towards the firewall, a little at a time. if you have no kick down/passing gear then the cable needs more TV pressure, adjusted towards the firewall. if moving the cable doesn't change it the tv valve in the valve body can be stuck. if that is the problem the unit has debris in the VB and needs attention. also the wrong cable could be on the car if it has been changed,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
That's a nice clean Monte. I love the color combination. Not your typical white, black, or burgundy. Nothing against those colors....I love 'em all.
Thank you for offering to pick your brain regarding transmission technical questions. ;)

Last edited:

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
well if it shifts to early the tv cable needs to be adjusted towards the firewall, a little at a time. if you have no kick down/passing gear then the cable needs more TV pressure, adjusted towards the firewall. if moving the cable doesn't change it the tv valve in the valve body can be stuck. if that is the problem the unit has debris in the VB and needs attention. also the wrong cable could be on the car if it has been changed,,,,,,,,,,,,
Gotcha. We bought the as a project so we’re not sure if the cable is original. It also has a shift kit that was installed by the previous owner. Is there a certain amount it should be adjusted or should we just eyeball it until it shifts right?

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
Gotcha. We bought the as a project so we’re not sure if the cable is original. It also has a shift kit that was installed by the previous owner. Is there a certain amount it should be adjusted or should we just eyeball it until it shifts right?
eyeball it, i would click it inward about 1/8 in. at a time. a little goes a long way. if all is working correct it will shift firmer and later as you go back. and remember the TV cable also controls passing gear. so if there is no passing gear then the cable is wrong, or out of adjustment, or the TV valve is stuck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
eyeball it, i would click it inward about 1/8 in. at a time. a little goes a long way. if all is working correct it will shift firmer and later as you go back. and remember the TV cable also controls passing gear. so if there is no passing gear then the cable is wrong, or out of adjustment, or the TV valve is stuck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sounds good, I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the help

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
welcome to the site,thank you for the offer on the transmission advise,it comes up often.nice cabin btw.looks cozy

Reactions: 3 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
i guess some that can't rebuild them say that. i have built hundreds of them. in fact they are one of my favorite transmissions. the 2004R is a great transmission. i have built them for several street hotrodders. you just have to understand them, and know there limitations. you can't hook a little 200 behind a 500hp engine and drive it like a mad man and expect it to hold up. the 2004R is stronger, and i like them better. the good thing about the 2004R is it has a "multi case" it has a bellhousing bolt pattern of all GM V8 motors. you can bolt it to any flavor V8 you like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That's is good to know. The only thing i have in my little 3.8 is Edelbrock's lifters/cam, performer intake manifold, and a Holley 390 cfm 4bbl carb since i couldn't find a 500cfm Edelbrock.
I bought it from a friend who had it rebuilt which was original to his 1979 Buick century sport coupe. Either way. I wish i could find someone in Michigan with a thm200. Not a fan of the 200r4 really. no need for Overdrive in my application.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
That's is good to know. The only thing i have in my little 3.8 is Edelbrock's lifters/cam, performer intake manifold, and a Holley 390 cfm 4bbl carb since i couldn't find a 500cfm Edelbrock.
I bought it from a friend who had it rebuilt which was original to his 1979 Buick century sport coupe. Either way. I wish i could find someone in Michigan with a thm200. Not a fan of the 200r4 really. no need for Overdrive in my application.
ship the 200 to me! i will build it :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor