New Jeep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a line on a Jeep for a good price. The only thing wrong with it the transfer case is broken and the front drive shaft is missing. It's not an expansive part or hard to replace. The Jeep still drives and I am wondering if it will cause any damage to anything else if I drive it til I replace the transfer case.

Nov 4, 2012
Glad to see you got a line on a new jeep. It can be dangerous to drive with a bad t case because they can unexpectedly lock up on you. As far as damage to the vehicle, The only thing that I can think of is if the T-Case is slipping at all, the engine and transmission might have to work a little harder. Shouldn't cause issues but your fuel mileage might go down a little. I'd just keep an eye on the transmission fluid, and temp if you have the luxury of a transmission temp gauge. You may get a P1870 code or a similar one if the transfer case is slipping, but it won't effect drivability unless of course the case locks up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the fluid is gone from he transfer case and there is no front drive shaft. It's more than a bad t case, I meant it's broken as in the case itself has a part of it missing. But I just got another one on the line that just needs breaks as he puts it, or in my case brakes. The two are both 04 versions and if this second one has the select trac in it I'll grab that one.

and my current Jeep will not beat me. I can get a head for $100 from a buddy of mine who owns a recycling yard and I'll do that when I have time. You have been a big help to me and I really appreciate it

Nov 4, 2012
Not a problem, I'm always glad to help when I can. Id go for the second one, brakes are a lot easier than transfer cases, and they are a wear part so it doesn't hurt to change them anyways. Glad to hear you gonna fix the current one too, I love these Jeeps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Picked up the Jeep today, the rear brakes don't need to be redone. It's a 4.0L special edition 2004 Grand Cherokee with 312,500 kilometers fully equipped and everything works. Comes with a working remote start. The driver's seat need to be repaired, seems like one fastener is broken on the left front of the seat. It was out of town so I dove it back and it ran great. I took it back out again and the alternator seems to have died. I got to where I have my GP parked and of course I didn't have have my GP keys with me. So I walked back the 8 kilometers (5 miles) and then discovered in my haste to go get some dinner with the new Jeep I had locked myself out. I will never write my memoirs cause my life will be seen as a comedy but it's really not......oh well I'll get an alternator tomorrow and carry on....:)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
easy fix, took a walk down at 5:30 this morning. I tried to charge the battery with my GP but after 15 minutes the Jeep would not start even with booster cables hooked up. I grabbed the battery out of my other Jeep and it's all good now....:banana:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
That made me LOL. And here I thought I was " gods little joke ". You were probably better for the walk ( both ways ) anyways. Was not too cold or wet last night. Hope you had your toque on :rofl:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I finally opened a hood yesterday to diagnose the mother-in-law's crashed Scion. It was -5C. I can appreciate the need for cranial insulation.

By the way, humility is a good thing. Especially combined with a sharp eye for a good deal.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like to walk, you get to see things you miss driving down the street. This Jeep I bought for $800 and it has no rust holes and just a bit of surface rust in a couple of spots. The transmission is the Quadra-trac II which runs in 2 wd until the rear wheels start to slip so I'm happy with that. I was looking for a select trac so I could run it in 2 wd when the conditions permit. I didn't realize the awd I have actually runs in 2 wd until I looked it up

Nov 4, 2012
The no rust deal is awesome. Just started fixing the rust on my passenger side rocker and quarter panel on my suburban. Plus I'm gonna need both drivers side doors after spring. Sound like a good vehicle and at $800 you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor