New member from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2020
I'm glad to be part of this support group. i have a 1985 El Camino, 305" engine, 4BBL, 2004R Auto trans., Nice shape. Bought it in Elkhart, Ind. As most of us always say, "A work in progress!" I'm currently working on the A/C/Heat. I have air blowing out of the defrost and floor vents. No matter how I move the controls, nothing. Checked the vacuum ball and the lines. Seem to be OK. ANy help appreciated.

Attachments

• ElCamino A.jpg
    ElCamino A.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 153

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Nice ride! I just got my AC running correctly again. Had the same issue with vent controls. Mine was due to some vacuum lines being inadvertently moved over the years and not put back to their correct location. I had to start replacing my lines following photos of stock engines. Added a missing heater valve in one of the lines too. Now everything’s working good!

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Welcome from SW Georgia. 82 El C owner. If you have vacuum to and through the vacuum reservoir ball then go to rotary switch to see if you have vacuum. If so easiest to replace rotary switch first

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree with Greg. A bad rotary switch is a pretty common problem on these cars.
Welcome to the forum. Where in Florida do you reside?

redsil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2020
I agree with Greg. A bad rotary switch is a pretty common problem on these cars.
Welcome to the forum. Where in Florida do you reside?
I live in Brooksville, about an hour north of Tampa. I haven't figured A) how to get the rotary switch out and B) where to get another one. Any ideas or instructions? Thanks. Where are you?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hello redsil, welcome to GBF, from a '78 Caballero and '79 El Camino in Seattle, Wa.
Your black one sure is nice. My '78 is my driver, doing any upgrades that I can to it.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Welcome, nice El Camino, how long have you had it? I just bought a black 83 El Camino Conquista a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it, I'm surprised it's kind of a head turner and a chick magnet I thought I was pretty alone in thinking El Caminos are bad *ss, but I keep getting compliments and thumbs up everywhere I go in it.

Wish mine had overdrive like yours, it's pretty horrendous on the highway at 60+. Eventually it's getting LS swapped with a 4L80e so it will be a better highway cruiser, as well as way way faster than the stock 305 haha.

Reactions: 1 user

redsil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2020
Welcome, nice El Camino, how long have you had it? I just bought a black 83 El Camino Conquista a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it, I'm surprised it's kind of a head turner and a chick magnet I thought I was pretty alone in thinking El Caminos are bad *ss, but I keep getting compliments and thumbs up everywhere I go in it.

Wish mine had overdrive like yours, it's pretty horrendous on the highway at 60+. Eventually it's getting LS swapped with a 4L80e so it will be a better highway cruiser, as well as way way faster than the stock 305 haha.
Thanks. I bought it about 8 months. Bought it off Facebook Marketplace unseen, flew up and took a chance and drove it back from NO. Indiana. Drove fine all the way! Yeah, surprised me too! Hey, if it goes the speed limit, I'm fine with that. Still working on the damn A/C control panel. Such is life. Got a picture of yours?

Reactions: 1 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Thanks. I bought it about 8 months. Bought it off Facebook Marketplace unseen, flew up and took a chance and drove it back from NO. Indiana. Drove fine all the way! Yeah, surprised me too! Hey, if it goes the speed limit, I'm fine with that. Still working on the damn A/C control panel. Such is life. Got a picture of yours?
Yeah I have a couple pics I bought mine about an hour from where I live, I'm in southeast Pennsylvania and the car came from south Jersey. I'm actually having the same problem with mine, the HVAC system only blows through the defrost vents and the air conditioner currently is not working. It's just got minor problems like that.

The trim piece missing in the pics will be out back on soon. The paint looks a little worse up close in person but it looks pretty good I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_193627611.jpg
    IMG_20200512_193627611.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200512_193554069.jpg
    IMG_20200512_193554069.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor