New member! Getting back into after 9 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Hey everyone! I hope this first post turns into many and I'm here for a long time. My first car was an 84 Monte SS, and I cherished it. I had put a bunch of work into it over about 6 years and got it to the point of a pretty solid (to me) street car. Ran 12.3 @ 110 in the quarter and could cruise anywhere. Then one day I was hit by a drunk driver and it tore up the front of the car and bent the frame pretty bad (drivetrain was okay!) I ended up buying another frame and front end (the body on mine was fine from the firewall back) and was going to do the swap...then I completely lost interest. This was in 2011, so fast-forward 9 years, and now with a house (space to work) and some time available, I want to get it back on the road!!! My goal is to have it ready for Rocky Mountain Race Week 2021, so I have basically 12 months.

I have been toying with the idea of just buying a roller Monte and throwing my drivetrain in, but it would lose the sentimental part for me (plus it looks like most Montes for sale are either too much $$ or in rough shape). When I finally start my build I'll start a specific thread about it, because I do have a ton of questions!

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, and here's to getting back on the road!

Reactions: 1 users

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Here are some pics of the car:

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Keep as much of the original car as you can. That sentimental value is real.

Frame swap it or go full tubular from the firewall forward and put a fiberglass nose on the car.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Much appreciated! Since I have another frame and another front end already, I think I'm going to just dive in and do the frame swap. It will feel so good when I finally get it back on the road...it's getting me excited to get to work!

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Welcome Coltrane, that certainly was quite a beauty. I look forward to seeing your progress with the rebuild. I saw a white Monte very much like yours just last week.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Seeing the pictures of what happened to your car is heartbreaking I am so sorry you had to go through that. I can relate to the sentimental value. I'm back on my monte project after it's been sitting for almost 11 yrs. I'd be money ahead by buying a nicer one but I've had this thing for 23 yrs. I love Rocky Mountain Race
Week so this will be fun to watch. Good luck with your project!

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Welcome aboard Coltrane and sure looks like you have a good solid base to start with. I'm a bit partial to a white 84 as well because that was my first Monte too. The only suggestion i have is before you tear into things too deep inspect your gaps, fits, etc. closely. After a hit like that on one side it may have pushed a few mounting points on the body out of whack and you might not find out until you start putting pieces back together. Looking forward to following your re-build!

Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Welcome from AZ! Glad youre alright from the accident. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
So just an update here - the car/frame/etc is in worse shape than previously thought, so I’m going to be buying a whole car and putting my drivetrain in it. It will be a different car, but the same heart!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Welcome! Changing anything else or pretty much keeping it like it was?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor