MALIBU New member here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
Hi all, im new here to the forums, located in Iowa.

I have a 1980 2 door, 4 speed Malibu classic. I bought it with a 350 chevy engine and 4 speed Saginaw transmission.
All but the engine is the way I bought it, I blew it up when I was younger and rebuild another 350 to replace it.
I have some issues with a few things and hoping to get some help figuring them out. Posted a few photos from a while back.
Currently I have an electrical issue that drains my battery if left hooked up while the cars not running. Also an exhaust pipe issue but im trying to convince a shop to install one with out emmissions.

Attachments

• 80 malibu 3 (2).jpg
    80 malibu 3 (2).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 330
  • malibu interior (2).jpg
    malibu interior (2).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 80 Malibu.JPG
    80 Malibu.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 299
  • malibu engine pass.side (2).jpg
    malibu engine pass.side (2).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: 4 users

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
How long does it take for the battery to drain to where the car won' start? A long time, look for a small short, dome lite issue, etc. Sort time less than one day, look for a bigger issue. If you have something aftermarket connect to the fuse panel, start there. Some fuse panel circuits are key/on hot and some are always hot. Hook up an aftermarket wrong and you get battery drain.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Nice Malibu. For your exhaust, Jegs & Summit has true dual kits (mainly designed for headers) in regular & stainless steel. You'll need a double hump crossmember for the Saginaw/TH350 to make it easier for the duals, again see Jegs & Summit. There is also exhaust from Pypes & double hump cross members from G Force. But where are you at for the emission requirements?

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
How long does it take for the battery to drain to where the car won' start? A long time, look for a small short, dome lite issue, etc. Sort time less than one day, look for a bigger issue. If you have something aftermarket connect to the fuse panel, start there. Some fuse panel circuits are key/on hot and some are always hot. Hook up an aftermarket wrong and you get battery drain.
thanks for info, its a short time like say a few hours. I haven't had it out this year but I did change the oem starter to a higher torque starter because of the oem having issues turning the motor over, but my battery drain was prior to this. I have unhooked every thing other then the factory wires from the fuse block but still have the issue. Other then the after market starter there is nothing else electronic on it for aftermarket.

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
Nice Malibu. For your exhaust, Jegs & Summit has true dual kits (mainly designed for headers) in regular & stainless steel. You'll need a double hump crossmember for the Saginaw/TH350 to make it easier for the duals, again see Jegs & Summit. There is also exhaust from Pipes & double hump cross members from G Force. But where are you at for the emission requirements?
I actually purchased a G body exhaust kit from summit but for some reason my passenger side header points more towards the passenger side door then directly back. I remember having to get shorty headers when we rebuilt the motor because the previous owner lowered the front end and the bottom of the headers had been flattened out, the drivers side header also interfered with the shifting linkage. the previous owner was a moron it turns out.
we don't have any emmissions laws here, but shops still have to put cats on if the car originally came with them. Iowa is a bit slow on environmental protection.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Kinda sounds like Hedmans, the set that works with the clutch linkage does that (guessing it is to connect to the stock bend?) I know with a clutch you're kinda limited with header choices. I did have the Hedmans but I'm going back to manifolds. I never did have any issues with pipes being too close to the shifter linkage (used cats & the Comp Plus shifter.)

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome Jesse80,Lots of good info here . More pictures please.:cool:

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 270

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
Thanks pagrunt. I have been looking a little here and there, but its mothers day and getting ready for a graduation party next weekend.
it would be nice to see how the original exhaust was but unfortunately around here everyone used Malibus and other Gbody cars for dirt track racing, I have one of the very few left in my area that's not in the junkyard.
Also most of the double hump crossmembers I have looked at look like they are straight across, while mine looks more like a candy cane. I cant see any other mounting holes under the car for a different style cross member. Anyway searching is half the fun right? lol

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
I will get some more after I wash it and get the graduation party for my little sister, nephew and cousin over with. Just don't pick on me for what the previous owner did to it.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor