New Member JoeBu1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
Howdy All,

I have read numerous threads on Gbody forum in my quest for knowledge and information; figured I would join the club too. So how did I get here?

I came across a project car that the owner lost interest and wanted a different project instead. I have always wanted a 78-79 Malibu. But everytime I come across one...they are usually overpriced or just too far gone for me. Until this one, and patience finally paid off. For the price I paid, it was too good to bypass. 1978 Malibu...8-point roll cage...Wilwood brakes...rust free...no motor-no transmission-no electrical...car completely dissassembled and painted...fiberglass cowl hood...aftermarket rear control arms...8.5" rearend from '84 H/O with factory 3.73 gears...G Force crossmember with Flowmaster stainless steel exhaust...all of the interior parts in boxes with bucket seats and backseat...close ratio steering box...and many, many extra parts too. The bonus was after close inspection of the floor pan...its an original 4-speed car.

I then (with help from my buddy Jim) boxed in the frame. We installed new clutches, new bearings, and new drum brakes in the rear. Acquired and installed a very stout 400sbc bored .030 over with aluminum heads and intake. Then purchased a Muncie M-21 4-speed with a M-22 output shaft. Because I didnt want to beat on the floorpan to make room for the "other chevy" type clutch linkage setup, i had to seek the correct bellhousing, z-bar, and s-shaped clutch arm. Next i had an old set of Camaro headers sitting around. The passenger side slipped right in. We had to modify the driver side to clear the clutch linkage. Then i had them cleaned and cerami-coated. We then repaired the backseat floorboards because of weakness, then sprayed POR-15 inside the car and the under carriage. I finally got my hands on an original tilt steering column with the key too.

Now im working on the frontend bracing. Another friend has an 83 Grand Prix LJ he is parting out. So i got the GP bar, fender to core support bars, and the radiator opening rods that i still need to sand-prime-paint. I already have the Jounce bars. Im also getting the power windows and power locks too. I will probably grab the steering center piece too. Im waiting for the weather to get a little warmer so i can do some type of dynamat, then i will start the electrical. I think my only next big challenge will be finding a rear windshield and the exterior trim around the windows.

I look forward to reading more of everyones posts on g-body issues.
Welcome. Sounds like you are off to one Rockin Street Eater !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor