New member with 1981 El Camino SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havasutom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2020
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Welcome to the forum! That is one clean looking El Camino! I second the opinion regarding a four-speed automatic. Unless you’re car is drag race only a three speed transmission is a relic.
Well I’m a relic too and the TH350 is reliable and easy to work on. The decision maker was the lack of a computer to run the transmission. The electrical on GM cars of this age is problematic at best with the first year of the Computer Command Control system. I just feel better and don’t want the hassle of calling a tow if I have a problem. Our summers here last six months with 140+ days over 100 degrees this year. Reliability is my number one requirement since I became handicapped. I have driven about 500,000 miles using that type of transmission. Thanks for the welcome.

Reactions: 1 users

Havasutom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2020
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Welcome aboard! Wow!! That is a nice clean El Camino. Good find with low miles. I hope your retirement wasn't forced due to a work related injury.
It might be a tough endeavor for you working from a wheelchair. Good luck! The 383 should motivate it nicely.
Thanks for the welcome. The retirement was forced due to a medical problem causing me to loose my left hip. No longer any hope for a replacement after seven tries. Working on my vehicles just takes much longer now. As an example replacing the unit bearing on my 2007 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 took about 4 hours a couple of years ago. The second one took 4 days this year. You just learn to do what you can and rest before you can’t work any longer. My 383” dynoed 432 hp so it will be a huge change from the 231” v6 100hp in it now. It will probably take me all the month of January to make the change. This will be my last project vehicle so I’ll be taking my time.

Havasutom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2020
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Welcome from SW Georgia. I have an 82 El C. Thinking about a 383
Thanks for the welcome. A 383 is a good choice if you are wanting to do a swap. The budget for a LS3 and 700R4 swap would have be be at least $5,000.00 more than a 383 TH350 swap. Since everyone wants the LS a SBC has dropped in price. It just depends on how you want to use your truck.

Havasutom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2020
Lake Havasu City, AZ
welcome to the site from boston,boy that's some hot weather you've got there.sounds like you've got a good game plan and a clean low mileage ride to start and from dry country no less.that's a REALLY good start.you're rite between the holiday and covid shipping/parts availability has become an issue for a lot of people.I'm looking forward to your build it sounds good.
Thanks for the welcome. I will try to document the build with pictures and part prices so anyone that’s thinking about this swap will know what to expect. I originally figured about $6,000.00 and have now budgeted $ 9,000.00 . That figure will increase by about another $3,000.00 to swap the rear end to a 9” Ford with disc brakes if needed. Time will tell.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks for being the first to welcome me. I have 2 questions on your build. What headers did you use and how much did you invest in the QP9 ?
I got Hooker Stainless steel long tubes. Don’t know if it was just my set but the driver side first tube was made to short at the flange to get the bolt in easily. Took alot of screwing around to get it bolted. Other wise they fit good. Lined up with my Strongman crossmember and Pypes dual exhaust. The QP 9 was under $2,000.00 with posi, gear of choice, billet axle housing ends for 2000 era F-body disc brakes, 31 spline axles, and drain/fill plugs.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ll tell you now forget any kind of budget plans. The more you do the more you want to do. Customizing my body was the cheapest part. When you put in over 300 horsepower, you need better frame supports, rear end, brakes, suspension, cooling . In the last month I’ve spent over $1,5000.00 on little things like headliner, light lenses, wheather stripping, interior screw/clip kit,sill plates dome light, sun visors and over $600.00 for SEM paint and prep products to do everthing in my interior to match the seats I put in from a 96 Camaro.

Havasutom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2020
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I’ll tell you now forget any kind of budget plans. The more you do the more you want to do. Customizing my body was the cheapest part. When you put in over 300 horsepower, you need better frame supports, rear end, brakes, suspension, cooling . In the last month I’ve spent over $1,5000.00 on little things like headliner, light lenses, wheather stripping, interior screw/clip kit,sill plates dome light, sun visors and over $600.00 for SEM paint and prep products to do everthing in my interior to match the seats I put in from a 96 Camaro.
How hard were the ‘96 Camaro seats to install ? Since the price to get my seats reupholstered is $1,000.00 replacement may be a better option.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor