New member with 1983 Elco, looking for ideas/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYelco83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2019
Pewee Valley, Kentuckyy here! Inherited a decent condition 1983 El Camino. Currently has a 305 needing some work. Lower left side of engine has years of oil/fluids from leaks, valve cover gaskets leak. Looks great and is fun to drive! I've looked at a 350 or 383 swap, still researching the best fit. Also may just clean up the 305, add some headers, valve covers and poly gaskets and call it a day.
IMG_1144.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Congratulations on the new car. Decide how much of a project you are looking for. You COULD clean the engine and spend hours doing it or you could get a GM 350/260 hp crate engine from Summit and drop it right in. Just know that there was some computer controlled equipment on that year car. So you have to decide how far you want to go eliminating things. Myself, I would try cleaning it all and driving it. But if I did an engine swap I would try to maintain all the computer controlled stuff and keep the car reliable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Wow, nice Elco! Welcome from Louisville man. There are a ton of options that will work, alot depends on skill level, budget, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

KYelco83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2019
Congratulations on the new car. Decide how much of a project you are looking for. You COULD clean the engine and spend hours doing it or you could get a GM 350/260 hp crate engine from Summit and drop it right in. Just know that there was some computer controlled equipment on that year car. So you have to decide how far you want to go eliminating things. Myself, I would try cleaning it all and driving it. But if I did an engine swap I would try to maintain all the computer controlled stuff and keep the car reliable.
Thanks for the info!

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Heck ya..
Nice ride
Welcome from SW Georgia from a fellow El C owner

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
Welcome to the site from Northern MN. If your on a tight budget then maybe just clean up the 305 and throw some gaskets at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor