New member with 1985 Cutlass Salon with Pontiac 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

egobop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2007
New York
Hello to all reading this. My name is Brian and I am new to this forum site. I currently have a 1985 Cutlass Salon with factory bucket seats,console and a factory power moon roof. I pulled the 307 and rebuilt a Pontiac 400 from a 1969 GTO with a friend and we put it in the Cutlass. To get it to fit we took out the air conditioning and the a/c fan motor box. I do not know if anyone makes them now but at the time (about three years ago) I could not find anyone whom makes headers that will fit a Pontiac 400 in a G-body car. I wound up buying aftermarket Ram Air exhaust manifolds which were VERY expensive but I really did not have a choice since I was not able to get headers and did not want to use regular exhaust manifolds. We redid the motor .030 over with 11:1 pistons, a pretty radical Comp Cams camshaft (had to put in a Crane vacuum can for the brakes), 1.6 Comp Cams rockers and dual coil valve springs, Performer RPM intake, Holley 750 cfm carb, Mallory billet distributor and Hyfire ignition system,etc. We also installed big block springs, polyeurethane bushings, boxed rear control arms, 10 bolt posi with 3.73 gears, and Edelbrock IAS shocks. We removed the original console and installed a Cheetah shifter. I also had a TH 350 rebuilt with a shift kit and a TCI 2,500 stall converter. We also removed the original gauge cluster and installed Auto Meter street rod gauges. We cut a stainless steel plate to fit where the original gauge cluster went and installed the Auto Meter gauges in it. The car is a 1985 but has the 1987 "Euro" nose on it. It also has Weld Pro Star aluminum rims. We spent a great deal of time on this car and did everything ourselves other than the machine work on the motor and the rebuilding of the transmission. It took us a while to figure out what frame mounts to use and wound up using frame mounts from a mid seventies Grand Prix. Two of the bolt holes lined up with the bolt holes on the frame and then we welded the frame mounts in. The car is so close to being done that it is ridiculous. It has been sitting for a while since we had other projects we were doing and come spring we will be finishing it. Basically, all we have to do is the fuel pump and lines, finish hooking up the carb., set up the Lokar throttle and kick down cables and have an exhaust put in. I also need to make a console around the Cheetah shifter (I want it to look nice too). I am planning on having a two car garage built in my backyard and once it is finished we will do what little body work it needs and repaint it. It is actually very nice looking. The quarters have no rust and the body is straight. It is black and the paint still looks very good. There is some rust bubbling through on the bottom of the doors (very common for these cars as I am sure anyone whom owns one knows).
I also own a 1968 Chrysler Newport with a big block 383 which was rebuilt with Edelbrock aluminum heads, Performer RPM intake, Speed Demon carb, a purple cam, MSD distibutor and ignition set up, etc. I also had the 727 transmission rebuilt. The car is currently in a friend's shop for paint ( I was given a price that I simply could not refuse). When I get it back I have to redo the rear end. I am not sure of what gears are in it but it is an 8 3/4 non posi. I will, of course, be turning it into a posi and will probably use 3.90 gears which were a factory option for this car. I will also be converting it to disc brakes. I am having a problem locating headers for this car since nobody seems to make headers for the large C body cars.
Another car I own is a 1965 Ford Fairlane which currently has a straight six cylinder in it. I plan on pulling the straight six and installing an eight cylinder. I currently have a 289 motor and two 302 motors. I also have a 351 Cleveland motor I am going to try to fit into the car. The 351 Cleveland is basically the size of a big block and may have a problem fitting it in since these cars were not made for big blocks. I am going to try it and see what happens. I really do not want to have to modify the strut towers but if I can get away with only modifying them a little I might. If they have to be heavily modified for the 351 I will probably just go with one of the 302 motors I have here. This is another car that I will have to do a disc brake conversion to and will also have to change all of the steering arms since the eight cylinders came with bigger bars than the six cylinder cars did. This car weighs less than 3,000 pounds and will make a great sleeper.
As anyone reading this can tell, I really do not have a car brand preference. I just enjoy working on and driving just about anything other than the Japanese cars. They just do nothing for me personally. I do not know how to post pictures on this site but once I figure it out I will put some on here.
Thank you to anyone whom actually read this long post. I hope to be of help with tech stuff on this site since I have obviously done some major work with my Cutlass and I hope to actually learn a few things as well.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Welcome to the forum.. I just joined a few weeks ago and I'm learning alot..Since I'm the 1st to respond, I'll be the 1st to say "POST PIX".. You'll hear that alot around here.. I've had 6 g-bodies total.. 2 Regals (83 & 86), 2 Cutlasses (83 & 85) and currently own a Cutlass (85) and a MC SS (86).

egobop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2007
New York
Thanks for the reply to the thread. When I figure out how to post some pictures I will do so. I forgot to mention that I will soon be purchasing a 1979 Hurst/Olds that I found for $1,000. They only made 2,499 of these and the car is all together with the Olds 350, Hurst shifter, rims, etc.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
use photobucket.com to host ur pics then right click it on the picture that u want posted go down to properties... copy ur URL address....then hit the IMG button paste the url that u copied then hit the IMG button again and hit submit like u would a post without pics

oh yeah
Welcome to the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor