new member with a 455 olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

malo

n00b
Oct 31, 2014
Hello, I've read lots of good information for my olds 455 swap on this site, along with some other g body sites. I figure this could add more helpful info for anyone else who goes this route. The car is a bone stock 86 buick regal. Olds 307, 3 speed transmission, stock 7.5" rear. The car ran smooth. I am doing the corn harvest a couple hrs north east from my home in amarillo. I drove it all the way here. It did great. Got rained out a couple days so I drove it back to amarillo. When I drove back this way, the poor old 307 pooped. When I went back to town for another short time off we hauled it home on a dolly. Now she sits in my driveway. We bought an olds 455/th400 combo from a 72 Vista cruiser. It has ga heads on it and z/x exhaust manifolds(factory dual exhaust manifolds), stock iron intake and quadrajet.This is my first big block olds. I have read for countless hours while waiting to be loaded in the feild... about these engines, and the work involved in the swap. I'm excited. At first I plan to just swap in the 455, using the transmission in the regal. I know it won't take abuse, but I will run it to get me around. I won't have a problem being gentle. I plan to put an hei in it, and send the quadrajet off to have it refurbished. I will be running ac, and all of my 307 accessories. I have done the research on the mods needed to the brackets. I also have all accessories from the 455. If the 455 runs decent, I plan to start upgrading the car a little at a time. transmission, rear, nice exhaust, and everything that would support a strong big block, then have the engine built like new. My long term goal is 12's with as mild a combo as possible. Iron intake, quadrajet, exhaust manifolds...455/th350/3.55 gears in a Ford explorer 8.8 with disc breaks. All comments or questions welcome. Thanks

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welcome!
Should be a fun project.
Do Yourself a favor and get an aluminum intake when your funds allow it.
A 455 is only 60 lbs. heavier than a 307, and an aluminum intake will help cancel out almost half of that...

malo

n00b
Oct 31, 2014
I like that idea, and it may happen. But I would love to reach my goals while still using the iron intake. I have wondered if the edelbrock would improve it much. From what I've read the main gain is from the weight savings like you said. If that's the only advantage I'm not sold. Sure would look nice though...

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
malo said:
I like that idea, and it may happen. But I would love to reach my goals while still using the iron intake. I have wondered if the edelbrock would improve it much. From what I've read the main gain is from the weight savings like you said. If that's the only advantage I'm not sold. Sure would look nice though...

IIRC, the only aluminum intakes that will fit under a stock hood are the Edelbroke performer ($250) and the factory W30 intake ($1000 used). Both are nice intakes and weight a heck of a lot less than the cast iron unit.

malo

n00b
Oct 31, 2014
Anubis, your car is sweeeet! That's what I'm going for. That's impressive especially with factory iron. Love it!

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Welcome. .. sounds like a fun project. .i love my 455.. best of luck

malo

n00b
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks everyone. I'm not very familiar with how forums work. Where should I post my progress? And is there a way to upload pics from my android?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Anubis said:
malo said:

IIRC, the only aluminum intakes that will fit under a stock hood are the Edelbroke performer ($250) and the factory W30 intake ($1000 used). Both are nice intakes and weight a heck of a lot less than the cast iron unit.

Offenhauser 360 equa flow intakes fit under the stock hood however I don't think they work as well as a dual plane Edelbrock. The offenhauser I had on my 455 years ago needed a 2" 4-hole spacer to fix stumbling and driveability issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor