New motor in a 78 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Hello forum, long time lurker here, and being the owner of a 78 monte carlo this is my go-to place for tech help. Lately, my 305 has been showing its age and i have decided to do a motor swap to a 350. Let me start by stating what i want. I want to have 20inch rims so i need more get up and go. I want to cruise it but have more power on acceleration. I want high compression heads and pistons, cam upgrade and better flow headers. I might upgrade to a 700r4 and want to change rear gears but use same carrier, the stocks out for like a 308. I am doing this on a budget and will mostly be doing this from work (autobody shop). All the blocks I come across are 010 or 638 from trucks and smog heads. My question is, what is the best combo for what I am trying to achieve? Will any of these blocks work? Do I have to stay in my gen or can i use an older or newer block? Again this is for a 78 monte. Am i just overthinking things? Please help forum, and thanks in advance. pic of my monte

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-15-14-23-08-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-15-14-23-08-1.png
    364 KB · Views: 295
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sounds reasonable..... Get up around 10:5:1 for pump gas, throw a hydraulic roller in it, a good balance job, get the strongest rods and lightest pistons you can afford, and send it. Oh, wait, that's how you build an Oldsmobile. :p
They are sound principles nonetheless!

Reactions: 2 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I would suggest try to find a block with provisions for roller lifters... I don't remember what years they started with off the top of my head but the 350 that came in my 1987 Chevy truck had them, plus the 4 bolt main bearing caps.

• Agree

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
I would suggest try to find a block with provisions for roller lifters... I don't remember what years they started with off the top of my head but the 350 that came in my 1987 Chevy truck had them, plus the 4 bolt main bearing caps.
I found a few roller blocks #638 for an 87-94 truck with the roller setup but a flat tappet cam in it. And it had 193 heads. Will that year fit or will my older parts be incompatible?

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I found a few roller blocks #638 for an 87-94 truck with the roller setup but a flat tappet cam in it. And it had 193 heads. Will that year fit or will my older parts be incompatible?

Right, the trucks didn't have roller cams but the blocks had the taps for the "spider" in the lifter valley and taps for the camshaft retainer...

I believe that as long as it's not an LT or LS style block you're good to go... As long as you're not wanting to re-use the heads with your old intake

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
It will fit. I am doing the same. I have a 78 as well. try and get a 1 piece RMS too. #638 are gen 1 small blocks, 87-95. almost everything is compatible with that. and you can put a roller cam in it with no mods or anything, even if it has a flat tappet now.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Don't discount the 010 blocks. They can be converted to roller cams and some were machined for 4 bolt mains. If the budget allows look into a crate 383 or even a stroker kit to convert your 350 into a 383. I have a 406 small block that is headed for the car in my blue 79, Cannot beat the torque these engines have down low.
Aluminum heads are the way to go if you have the budget, I've had good luck with ported smog heads but know that a cheaper set of aluminum heads will always outperform a set of worked over smog iron heads.

Just my $.02!

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Beings you all are third gen Monte guys I have too comment too. The only thing you have to take into consideration is the newer blocks are not machined for a fuel pump. So you will have to run an electric pump. The vortex heads take a different intake too. I would look into a crate engine before I got too carried away. You probably can buy a short block cheeper than you can build one.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Depending on the budget you have you could just get a new GM Performance crate motor that has a roller, run on pump gas, get some fair power with some headers & a good intake/carb or F.I. set up. But being in the People's Republic how much will you have to deal with a emissions referee with the swap even if you pass the new engine off as a 305?

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Beings you all are third gen Monte guys I have too comment too. The only thing you have to take into consideration is the newer blocks are not machined for a fuel pump. So you will have to run an electric pump. The vortex heads take a different intake too. I would look into a crate engine before I got too carried away. You probably can buy a short block cheeper than you can build one.
Yes, and will my power steering and alternator need modifiying on a new block for that year? I work in a body shop and have some connects to machinists, so that helps with $. like i said im probably overthinking things but i want more info on how to go about getting what i want out of this car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor