new motor is in, need help hooking a couple things up

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
so I'm swapping a 72 olds 350 in to a 1983 cutlass. I'm deleting the cruise control, so I need to run a speedo cable from a car that came from the factory without cruise. the problem is that my stock speedo cable looks like it is too small to fit into the square hole on the trans side of things. the car came with a chevy 305/th200 combo and I'm using a th350 that came from an oldsmobile car. so I need to figure out what part to look for. it needs to be the proper length for a g body, but with a larger square to fit the transmission end of things.

also I am using an edelbrock performer carb/intake setup. how do I hook up the vacuum advance timing hose from the carb to the manifold?

the motor was previously converted from points to HEI and I have two wires (red n black), the car had a plug to the distributor with three wires connecting the old motor. without the battery in the car, is there any way to tell which of these I need to be using, and what should I do with the left over (third) wire. what is it for?

thanks in advance for your help.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I used my non cruise th200 speedo cable on my chevy th350 without issue. Have you tried to fit it? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,1440

There should be a port behind the carb on the manifold for vacuum. I believe it's a 3/8 npt.

Do you have pics of the wires in question? Where they come from?

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
I still have to buy a cable. I just needed to know what cable to get. I can try and fit it, but once I do it is non-returnable at the auto parts store. Not a big deal though, especially if theres a good chance it will work.

There are two ports on the manifold behind the carb. One of them goes to a 3 way splitter that sends vaccum to the trans, cruise etc. the other hole is currently unused. Do I just need to thread in a fitting and run a hose to the front of the carb?

I can get a picture of the wires in question. The red and black on my new motor come right from the distributor. The plug in the car used to plug in to the back of the block under the dist on the 305. I assumed it powered a factory hei setup. I have no such plug on the motor because it didn't come factory with HEI

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If you're using a Edelbrock carb connect the the small front passenger side port on the carb to the distributor. Routing any vacuum from the manifold back to the carb does nothing but make a loop. Brake booster can use the other full time port off the manifold if you haven't hooked it up somewhere else.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
the only vacuum in to my distributor is attached to the small metal cone type thing at the base of the distributor. on my old motor, that was hooked up to a coolant temp sensor on the t-stat housing. is this the one I need to hook up to the carb? I'm not running any emissions controls. the edelbrock manual says for non-emission applications I need to hook up to the small port on the driver side. I'm hooking the power brake booster up at the back of the carb.

speaking of coolant temp sensors. there were two connected to the thermostat housing on my old motor. both had vacuum lines but no electrical wiring. in the olds 350 manifold there are two ports at the front to accept (i think) temp sensors, but no ports on the t-stat housing itself. I already have one sensor that could be a temp sensor, or an oil temp/pressure switch mounted on the top of the block near the top of the timing cover. can anybody help me make sense of this?

these are the pictures of the wires i had talked about in my previous post. in the one picture you can see the red and black wires connecting to the distributor. in the other picture you can see the plug that was connected next to the base of the distributor on my old motor. it has a red black and green wire attached

I got a speedo cable for a 307 car with no factory cruise control. i take it that I need to connect the trans end up and then run it in through the firewall where the speedo cable currently comes out to the cruise control box under the hood.

thanks guys

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
pictures didn't work as attachments. let's see of this works

10477418_10154387056010207_302958302615303542_o.jpg

10460661_10154387055935207_4858728867092983538_o.jpg

and a bonus. here's a picture of my car about 2 weeks ago, right before I parked it and pulled the motor.

10455047_10154298345640207_1444993585914771344_n.jpg

anybody recognize those rims?

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
so I took my dash apart and hooked up the new speedo cable. seems like it should work I guess. I also got the rear port on the carb hooked up to the power brake booster. I figured out how to hook up the vacuum at the distributor to the front of the carb.

I have a vacuum line going from the canister looking thing with all the vacuum hoses to the pcv valve on the driver side valve cover. the pcv valve has a t fitting that I assume goes to the passenger side valve cover. do I also T this in to the front centre port on the carb, or do I use the hose that goes to the canister that used to attach to my q-jet with the white dashed line on it?

is there such a thing as a knock sensor on a 72? I have a wire for one from the car, but I haven't seen any sort of knock sensor on the block. what should I do with the wire?

still trying to figure out my HEI. any ideas? did the pictures work?

thanks for the help guys

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
you should be able to t off the pcv. I only have the passenger hooked up to the carb and the driver side with a breather. I only have the fuel vapor line hooked up to the canister since I don't have any emissions stuff anymore.

does your hei have a 3 wire plug closest to the cap? it should red black and brown wires that go from the inside of the cap plugged the hei cap. http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/2/13/344051 ... actory.jpg

It could be that the red balack and brown wires you have loose go to the hei.

non-ecu engines don't use knock sensors.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for the helpful reply. My HEI has two loose wires coming from the distributor. No plug or anything.

I think I have a handle on the pcv situation now.

What I thought was a knock sensor was actually the oil pressure sender i think. Got it hooked up

Has anybody had to fab up brackets to hold the throttle cables in place? I'm not using the cruise diaphragm and the holes wouldn't have lined up anyways. Any advice?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor