New need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte83carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2020
Hello fellow g body enthusiasts I have a 83 monte I'm doin a cam swap I was wondering do I need to degree it

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
No.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hello fellow g body enthusiasts I have a 83 monte I'm doin a cam swap I was wondering do I need to degree it
In a 305 or something bigger? For me I always degree my cams but I have all of the tools to make it quick and easy and I have done it many times but the reality is that most mild street cams for SBC already come with 4 degrees advance already ground in so you could set it at straight up with no degreeing and you should be fine.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Do you need to - no should you - yes

The term "Degreeing In Your Camshaft" means you are making sure the camshaft's position in the engine coincides with that of the crankshaft, so that their rotation is synchronized. This is the only way you will know if the rise and fall of the pistons properly matches the opening and closing of the valves, so the engine will run properly. A few degrees of misalignment can affect the engine's operation dramatically.

Reactions: 3 users

Monte83carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2020
In a 305 or something bigger? For me I always degree my cams but I have all of the tools to make it quick and easy and I have done it many times but the reality is that most mild street cams for SBC already come with 4 degrees advance already ground in so you could set it at straight up with no degreeing and you should be fine.
I see ok thank you for the information I'm using part number 2102 cam with lifters edelbrock and the timing chain as well ima give it a go I have it already some what apart was supposed to be done yesterday but I was iffy about the degree part

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I've always wondered: Since cam companies are always saying how good their manufacturing is and how precise their grinding is why check their work out degreeing to find out its OK? That is unless you are going to not use use the straight up setting. I have a degree wheel, it's about 40 yrs old. Great wall piece in my garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor