New noise from olds 307 ticking/knocking/exhaust leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
Recently bought an 86 cutlass and noticed today on the way to work I have a sound when accelerating. At idle all I can hear is a belt/accessory squeak but as I accelerate or rev the engine quickly there’s a loud tapping sound. I tried to isolate it with the hood popped but haven’t had much luck.
If I pull the throttle back slowly I don’t really hear it. The exhaust is in bad shape under the car. Dozens of holes in the intermediate pipe. I can’t get a good look at the manifolds to see what kind of shape they’re in.
It sounds a lot more like a tap than a knock to me but I’m no expert. Thinking it could be valvetrain...
I have a video with the hood popped while I’m checking it but couldn’t figure out how to load it here. I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to figure it out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think it is the exhaust that is making the noise, I would fix that first and see what you got

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
I took the exhaust off behind the catalytic converter and still have the noise. I got under the car to see if I could find any other holes in the crossover pipe or manifolds but wasn’t able to find any. Still digging, just wanted to post an update.

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
It still has all the stock emissions parts on it. Does any of the AIR stuff tend to leak?

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Too, with those, the 307 with OD, cruising down the highway it may sound ok and once it pops into overdrive, the "tick" should be MOST prevalent if its the exhaust. Usually a "knock" would get worse when the motor is NOT under load such as in OD. But like the others said, id eliminate the exhaust issue first, its the cheapest

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor