NEW OE Dash - How do I prevent cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
the point is the question was how to keep the dash from cracking and my answer was to that question with I think it would be the best way to prevent the dash from cracking... :popcorn:
Or even better, send it to Alaska for the six month dark duration each year :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
what would be the point in that?!?! Driving it like it stolen .. 🏎
Don't worry. Your question & 'want' is legit. Those carpet dash covers are a quick, easy on/easy off deal that can help as well.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Make sure to get a dash cover that "breathes". If you trap the heat under them, it's like not having one at all.

Some dash materials are pretty good in today's cars, but I can tell you the 2007-2013 GMC/Chevy trucks all had a dash crack problem that was rampant. Maybe not every truck in the world, but every used one I looked at that I could see the dash had a crack. Hard to find one used that hasn't had a crack near the upper LH corner at the passenger air bag insert. I had one of the best covers in my old truck right off the bat and STILL had it crack, replaced under warranty, and it cracked again, I took the dash out and did a plastic "weld" and epoxy repair on it from the back side...and while still using the cover, and it STILL cracked again later on...fugg it. Chalked it up to a junk design. Plastic is way too narrow in that area IMO. I just lived with it.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I drive mine 365 when it's not broken. :p

I use armor all tire gel every month or so. I wipe it more frequently with wipes in hotter weather at least once every other week. But eventually age will get to it. At their newest these cars are 32 years old after all...

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
U-V, and our climate and weather in general are the sworn enemy of the plastics that are most commonly found and used in cars in general. If you aren't driving the car, keep it out of direct sunlight. It might be a cool day outside the car but you might be surprised how hot it can get inside. Protect the vinyl or plastic be using a good grade of cleaner/defender; think Armorall got mentioned earlier, there are others. Don't let people smoke in your car. If you live above the Mason-Dixon line, be aware that cold weather can cause as much damage as heat or sunshine. Garages don't come cheap and many apartments don't offer them but a good heavy car cover can insulate the vehicle from both hot and cold as well as the elments to a certain degree.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My GP is original from Florida and since I have owned it I don't cover the dash or hide it from the sun and there is no cracks in it. It could be the GP is a higher quality than the run of mill G bodies.... :popcorn:

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 3 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
My GP is original from Florida and since I have owned it I don't cover the dash or hide it from the sun and there is no cracks in it. It could be the GP is a higher quality than the run of mill G bodies.... :popcorn:

Oh you Pontiac guys,....
Guy

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor