NEW OE Dash - How do I prevent cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My recipe: window shades, garaged when possible, and NO ARMORALL. Seriously, it's like turning the surface into a frying pan.

When I want it cleaned it's swiffer feather duster for dustyness and lint. Once a year or so a weak solution mild dawn dish soap.

Never had a dash cracking in a car I was driving.

Reactions: 1 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Ding ding ding we have a winner

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
All plastics continually "off gas" which means they are drying out. I was once told the white substance that accumulates on the inside of your vehicle glass is that residue. Like others have stated, the culprits are UV, heat, and climate/environment. I have also heard the warnings about Armour All.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Some dash materials are pretty good in today's cars, but I can tell you the 2007-2013 GMC/Chevy trucks all had a dash crack problem that was rampant.
Never had that issue in my POS '08 Silverado, it spent too much time in a mechanics garage cause it was a poster child for POS trucks.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My highly unscientific 3 decade research says Pontiac dashes are most durable, Buick/Olds are about even,but less durable than Pontiac, and Chevrolets remind me of a concrete contractor i once worked for. Had "guaranteed to crack" printed right in his contracts.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
My GP is original from Florida and since I have owned it I don't cover the dash or hide it from the sun and there is no cracks in it. It could be the GP is a higher quality than the run of mill G bodies.... :popcorn:
Can confirm the spot welds are of a higher quality. They actually hold the GPs together!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ah, one other option commended itself to my attention in connection with storage and that is those collapsible storage/vehicle canopy sheds that use a plastic or steel tube frame that supports a cover or canopy of fiber re-inforced poly-plastic. They kind of look like a Quonset hut and come in various heights and lengths. I've seem them large enough to cover a motor abode so definitely would shelter a G-Body. There are kits to add the sides to close it in and that gets you an all weather enclosure. Once I figured out how to keep the wind from trying to steal it, mine worked just fine even in the rain. Made things interesting if welding was involved and it was wet out, but it did keep the sun off. Just be careful because seeing it will give your significant other all kinds of ideas that usually end up with all her stuff under the canopy and your car out in the wet and cold and nasty again. But Honeey...………………. Meh.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Thanks everyone for the answers. Luckily the car will be garage kept, away from direct sunlight but when on the road I'll be selective on parking and what not. I was thinking of attempting to repair my old one with fiberglass as a side project, worst case scenario I will have an extra dash to put in if the new one cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor