NEW OE Dash - How do I prevent cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was able to pick up an original dash (different color) with almost zero cracks, from what I found only a small hair line crack on one corner of the speaker. I need to paint it to match my interior color but just curious if there is anything I can do to it to prevent it from cracking in the future?
I think the problem is you have a dash that already has cracks and I think they will just continue as time goes on no matter what you do, it's easier to preserve a "mint" dash with no cracks at all.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
I think the problem is you have a dash that already has cracks and I think they will just continue as time goes on no matter what you do, it's easier to preserve a "mint" dash with no cracks at all.

Well, I was going to place some epoxy/glue on the current crack in hopes of it not propagating more. It is less than half and inch long. But we shall see.

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
Hello everyone, as you all know the G-Body dashes are prone to crack BAD. 1 That being said I was able to pick up an original dash (different color) with almost zero cracks, from what I found only a small hair line crack on one corner of the speaker. I need to paint it to match my interior color but just curious if there is anything I can do to it to prevent it from cracking in the future? Special paint? Light layer of fiber glass, bondo, rhino liner (dont laugh). I just would really hate for this dash to crack after going through all that trouble of painting and switching out. Obviously, a dash cover would probably help but would like to not have to go that route if possible. Thanks in advance.
When I had my '84 Cutlass, I was fortunate to have it garage kept the 28 years I owned it. My dash was in perfect condition when I sold the car this spring. Never bought one of those dash covers but just a aluminum faced generic windshield cover.
Back in the 80s I did upholstery repair with car dealers (fixing cracked dashes, cigarette burns, redying carpets, etc.) I was told back then by my trainer never use Armor All on just about anything as it tended to dry the vinyl. So I never did. In fairness to them, they may have improved their product over all these years. Maguires has a vinyl protectant I liked; went on easy & had a low natural-looking sheen & you could also use it on your vinyl roof without streaking in the rain like some others.

Another thing, when you go to paint that dash, make sure you get a paint for vinyl & use a product like Sem Plastic & Leather Prep to prep the surface. $32 for a quart but it strips away your vinyl protectants & other residue & the surface is really going to be great for painting. If you don't want to spend the money a wax & grease remover worked for me too. Even used it for leather steering wheels.
I also used a Pre val sprayer for these small jobs since my paint was always mixed in a pint-sized can.
If you don't want to go this route, check out a company called Malco. They make plastic & carpet dyes in aerosal cans. They offer many colors ready to go. I don't know if they have colors dating back to the G-body days but I've used their light titanium in a Buick Lucerne with leather & it didn't wear off even on the driver's seat. Doesn't leave that dry powdery feel when it dries either. Again, I used the prep previously mentioned.

Hope this diatribe helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor