New OEM gauges or VHX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
I was looking at the vhx gauges, but do to price I'm looking at other options, they seem to be around $1000

My car is a 1987 LS with no gauges or tach. Due to the engine swap, I want a reliable oil pressure and temp gauge, as well as a tach. What's everyone's thought on new center gauges and a new 8k tach? Looks like around 300, plus I will need sender's I'm sure...So 375-400- I think.

Curious on installation and if they are accurate enough to be trusted.

Not interested in universal units.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I'm running equuis gauges from O'Reillys on my dd. You can get all the gauges you need for just over $100 and they are very accurate. Also can change backlight colors. I personally don't trust factory gauges

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
I wouldn't trust the factory guage on a engine you care about the vitals. I had them in mine oil pressure was 0 off 30 idle 60 going down road never anything in between. Temp, volts, and gas seemed to be pretty good. I'm switching over to the VHX gauges this week might not be any better but hope so. I got them for less than 700 to the door.

Last edited:

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
How are you hoping to get them for 700? I also need a gear selector module ($100) and Dakota Digital said they have custom faces that match my 1987 perfectly. (Another +$150, but that's probably over msrp)

I've just never seen universal's in a Gbody that looked good.

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
Mine come from Matt's bowtie classics. They were 690 to the door. I ordered the shift selector from someplace else font remember where. I think it was around 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor