New Owner looking to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
Hey yall!
Recently bought a 1981 Buick Regal 3.8L V6. Its all stock except for the rear springs and the rims. I installed a tach as well cause I wanted one after I blew the carburetor by hooking up the vacuum hoses wrong and blew chunks of charcoal into it from the canister. Embarrassing but the truth. Im looking to turn this thing into a drag racer. This car has been my dream car since I was 12. I want to go all out meaning put a Chevy 572 in it, upgrade the suspension, redo pretty much everything. Its going to be a huge learning experience as I am just starting to learn about cars and how they work. Over the next couple weeks I’ll probably be asking some stupid or just opinionated questions, like whats the best place to get a crate engine, best drivetrain to go with, and the like.
Thank you all for your time and I look forward to sharing my build with yall. It will go slow because of my job and the money I make, but hopefully an eventful journey all the same.
EA479359-7910-4AF6-A2AE-558D56F0F8CF.jpeg
B3AEC535-FBE6-45DD-880E-49F129CD6EB2.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Good luck. Like that you have the drive to get into a project this size. Do your homework so you are not wasting money and time! Measure twice cut once.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Nice looking car to start with, looking forward to seeing how it all turns out for you

Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Those are some pretty big steps and a lot of $$$ to boot. Any experience drag racing? Will the car be drag only? Good lookin Regal !!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Except for the FUGLY big wheels, thats to nice to turn into a drag car. You even lucked out with no rust causing vinyl roof.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
Nice home for a big block!! Good starting point, very clean

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
Good luck. Like that you have the drive to get into a project this size. Do your homework so you are not wasting money and time! Measure twice cut once.
Haha the homework is the fun part. Ive learned more than I thought possible off Youtube alone lol

Reactions: 1 user

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
Those are some pretty big steps and a lot of $$$ to boot. Any experience drag racing? Will the car be drag only? Good lookin Regal !!!
No, no experience. Ultimately just want to make a great car to take to shows, drag race, and get into the hot rod community. Figured the best way to learn is to go balls deep. Pretty much my mantra for this haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I was trying to keep my keyboard shut, but I'll make a suggestion. If you've never been on the track, start now; seat time is priceless. Plus, you'll get a baseline to look back on and chuckle maniacally to. Start at the rear; get some gears for now, or go ham on the diff to hold the future power. The gear change alone will put a smile on your face. Start a build thread; we like pictures.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor